battery ? - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by lilpooh, this thread has received 16 replies and been viewed 2396 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-02-2009, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
battery ?

2005 puma 25' battery dies any where from 1 to 2 weeks just sitting not plugged in,the dealer I bought it from new said it was normal,but when I put a multi-meter on it to check the amp draw,the co2 detector was drawing 4.73 amps but the fuse is a 3 amp that was the only thing I could find that was out of wack.finally got fed up with it and put a power shut off switch at the battery,got tired of the dealer giving me the run around.any suggestions?

2004 F350 CC DRW King Ranch
X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB
Thanks to:JASONS REPAIR AND PERFORMANCE-TELFORD,PA.

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:10 PM

Put a solar charging cell on it if its not covered. Or leave it plugged in all the time if able. the battery disconnect is a good solution to cut everything off while not in use though.

2006 F-350 6.0 crew cab long bed with line x.
2" leveling in front with 315/65/18 BFG's.
Billet grill
MBRP 4" duals, AFE stage 1, Tunes from Eric @ Innovative and DJ's.
Overhead pod with Isspro guages
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Super Moderator

You'd need at LEAST a 200W solar cell to keep up with a 24x7 draw of 60W.

There is NO WAY a CO detector should draw that kind of current, ours are 9V batteries that last about 6 months.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
should I start prossess of elimination, disconnect co2 monitor,see if battery holds? The dealer told me the converter always draws current to kill the battery,I don't see how if all the lights and accesseries are off.

X-3 tunes by DJ,QT,GH,ID,Gyphon FICM tuner,head studs,II Stage 1turbo,ATS coolant recirc lines,Swamp's 48v ficm,coolant filter,Snow Perf stage II,EGR delete,AD2,4" turbo back straight pipe,K&N intake,Quad "A" pillar autometer gauges,Suncoast Tri Disk Conv.,Billet input shaft,Suncoast superduty rebuild kit,Trans-go shift kit,Mag-Hytec trans pan,CFM+ elbow,ccv mod,15K reese 5er,17" LCD TV/DVD,Cobra 29 Nitewatch CB

"Are diesel pickups hot rods? Yes,they are-perhaps the most versatile hot rods ever made"---Diesel Power Magazine
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 03:47 PM
SLAPS President

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh View Post
2005 puma 25' battery dies any where from 1 to 2 weeks just sitting not plugged in,the dealer I bought it from new said it was normal......
That is horse manure...... My camper sat unplugged from the end of October until three days before Christmas and I still had battery power (and yes, I have a CO detector as well as LP detector which is wired into the camper).... Sounds to me like a lazy dealer....

2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155's from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); Di-Pricol gauges; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7;Tunes by Tony Wildman & IDP; B&W hitch; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT radio; JL Audio 275w amp w/ 12" sub; Alpine door and rear seat speakers. pics
Dually club member #76

SLAPS President and Webmaster

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. - quote by Samuel Adams

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-06-2009, 04:16 PM

what other things are plugged in ? digital clocks dont drawl much, nor do tv/vcr/radio
memory but they can add up...especially if some of these things are powered by a
connected dc to ac invertor.

its sounds obvious but what about night lights, crawl space lighting or
battery operated deviced that are plugged into ac outlets (dust busters etc)...
or flashlight chargers...again i know they dont necessarily run off of 12v battery
supply but its something to check.

Don R.

'04 350 4WD Lariat Crew Longbed (built 05.04)
-------------------

-------------------

Gear Vendors Dbl Overdrive Install w/ Pics.
135 Amp Alternator Upgrade/Replacement
50 Gal. Aux Tank; Pump, Filter, Wiring
Truck Audio,
CUSTOM Valentine One Install - LINK
$10 Grill Mod. (protects the coolers) !

Block Heater Cord (Rear Mounted w/ Timer) - LINK

REALTIME -CURRENT DIESEL Pricing <HERE>

Last edited by bushpilot; 01-06-2009 at 04:22 PM.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 PM
Inline Junky!

Garage
Check your ref. Open the freezer door and look at the top on the jamb. Some have a defrost mode and there is a switch in the jamb to turn it on and off. It has about a 3 amp draw and will easy kill your battery in a week!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Another member pointed out an inverter.

IF these items run off an inverter, that's a BIG NO-NO!

At best and inverter is about 60% efficient under low loads and maybe, maybe 85% under heavy loads, so if you have a 25W load it turns into a 25/0.6 = 42W draw (damnear 3.5A)!

Every load in an RV, boat or rustic cabin should be a 12V device and NOT run thru an inverter, they simply waste too much energy.

'93 F-250 HD, 7.3L IDI, 5spd - FARM TRUCK
I Support: Trailer brakes an every axle over the towing vehicle's GVW; CDLs for RVers; Safety inspections for ALL vehicles and 6 axle trucks (97K GVW proposal).

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote - Benjamin Franklin

I vote for LIBERTY!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 05:42 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bushpilot View Post
what other things are plugged in ? digital clocks dont drawl much, nor do tv/vcr/radio
memory but they can add up...especially if some of these things are powered by a
connected dc to ac invertor.

its sounds obvious but what about night lights, crawl space lighting or
battery operated deviced that are plugged into ac outlets (dust busters etc)...
or flashlight chargers...again i know they dont necessarily run off of 12v battery
supply but its something to check.
The only things that is on 12v DC is the built in radio,CO2 sensor,fresh H2O tank pump,lights,and fans for the heater blower and bathroom vent,slide out and jacks.I made sure and double checked that everything is off.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-07-2009, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledpuller500 View Post
Check your ref. Open the freezer door and look at the top on the jamb. Some have a defrost mode and there is a switch in the jamb to turn it on and off. It has about a 3 amp draw and will easy kill your battery in a week!
no defrost switch,the fridge only runs on AC or propane no DC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode