Gooseneck Adapter for Fifth Wheel, just say NO! - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by BigRedDually, this thread has received 20 replies and been viewed 34675 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
Just Cowboy Up and Do It!

Gooseneck Adapter for Fifth Wheel, just say NO!

I put this post on one of the other forums, and it struck me it might be important enough to throw in here somewhere. So heads up to anyone thinking about doing this.

I'm not aware of any travel trailers that come equipped from the factory with a gooseneck type hitch. They generally come with a fifth wheel type hitch. There are "adapters" out there to replace the fifth wheel hitch with a gooseneck type hitch. These are very popular with folks who also pull gooseneck trailers and they only have the ball hitch mounted in their trucks.

The problem with this set up comes when you put the gooseneck adapter on a trailer originally designed as a fifthwheel. Because the gooseneck adapter is longer, (it has to reach all the way down to the bed of the truck instead just about the top of the fenders,) it puts a great deal of stress on where the hitch is welded to the trailer.

I speak from personal experience. I put one of these conversions on a 34 foot, 10,000 pound Jayco Eagle. Worked great for a couple of years, and then I noticed screws missing from the sheetmetal underneath the "hood" of the trailer. The frame of the hood was flexing so much from the additional stress of the hitch adapter, I was slowly breaking EVERY weld underneath the hood. When I took the sheetmetal off to see what was going on, I had two small pieces of angle iron holding the entire front of my trailer on. Both ends were cracked, but not completely broken (yet!). Had those two welds finished breaking going the road about 70 mph, the result would've been ugly, I don't care who you are.

Several additional pieces of angle iron, some judicious welding, and sheetmetal being replaced with heavy diamond plate has fixed the problem. I still pull this trailer with the gooseneck adapter, but only because of the work I did to the front of the trailer. If and when I trade trailers, I'll keep the fifth wheel, and get a B&W companion to go with my turnover ball.

The reason I say this I want folks to learn from my mistake. What sounds like a good idea really isn't. Anyone buying a trailer with a gooseneck adapter should have the entire front of the trailer inspected underneath the sheet metal. If you don't see any problems, put the fifth wheel back on and go from there. Do not continue to use a gooseneck adapter on a fifth wheel trailer without beefing up the front end of the trailer. My results could have been truly tragic, but I was lucky.

Live and learn...

'08 F350 CC Lariat DRW
Ordered 12/15/06 Built 02/13/07 Delivered 02/28/07
6.4 L PSD, Auto, Tow Boss, Off-Road
Ranchhand Grill Guard, Headache Rack, Brown's Running Boards
Transferflow 98gal Bed Tank
B&W Turnover Ball, FMJ Spray-in Bedliner
F-450 Front Fender Flares
Airaid CAI
Spartan Tuned 275HP
Red
Dually Club #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Any part that you make that is expressly designed to remove a functioning emission component is illegal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedDually For this addition to TDG:
GhettoMedic (03-30-2009), Super08Duty (04-02-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 06:22 PM
Can't wait to tear it up.

Yes the B&W turnover ball with Fifth wheel conversion hitch is the best invention ever made. I love mine.

Dusty...
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 06:23 PM
I Eat Rice

I too thought about getting the adapter so there was more room in my bed. But decided against it because I figured there was too much strees for it to work over the long road. Good post. Should steer people away from getting the so called Jack of all trades, master of none.

Lets just say not quite stock.
Slower than some. Faster than most.
Canadian Club Member #10.
Ridin High Club Member #24
Singles Club Member #469

"There is no try. Only do... That is why you fail" Yoda. The wisest green piece of rubber ever created.

2008 King Ranch/Harley mix. Spartan tuned. Elite studs, Cobbs EGR delete plates. FabTech 6" 4 link with dual 2.25" remote shocks. 18" 778 Monsters 35-12.5-18 Toyo MT's DDM 35w HID's 6000K hi/lo and fogs.
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 06:29 PM

I moved this into the camper section.

I've seen those and often wondered about stress problems...especially with the "extended 5th wheel pins" than now come on fivers so they can be pulled by shortbed trucks.

I don't suppose you grabbed any pictures of the damage did ya?

~Dave~

2012 F350 KR Dually, stock...bone stock.

early 99 PSD CC F250, DP Tuner F-5, Stealth Stage I, Casserly 160cc singles, Monsterbox Tranny, MBRP cool duals, ITP Regulated fuel system, Cobalts and Performax gauges, and way to much else to remember right now. **traded**

2004 Excursion Limited 6.0L, Dipricol gauges on the A-Pillar, Bilsteins and BFG's on the corners, lost EGR (not looking hard for it either), ARP studs, RCD Black Onyx head gaskets, MBRP 4" exhaust, (labor performed by Dan @ Midwest Transmission) **giggled when traded**

Quote:
I'm pretty good at drinkin beer -Billy Currington
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

No I didn't I couldn't get my welder fired up quick enough to repair the damage. I was honestly afraid the whole front end of my trailer would fall off.

If you pull the underside hood sheet metal and look at the metal frame, any damage will be readily apparent. Those frames are not very heavy to start with due to weight considerations, and it doesn't take much torque to start breaking things apart.

'08 F350 CC Lariat DRW
Airaid CAI
Spartan Tuned 275HP
Red
Dually Club #83

Quote:
Any part that you make that is expressly designed to remove a functioning emission component is illegal.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2009, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the post. I debated on buying an adapter hitch last Fall when we bought our 5th wheel. After reading many sites and seeing what people had to saw about not doing it, I bought a 5th B&W 5th wheel companion.

I am sure glad I made that decision.

1995 Dodge 2500 - just a wore out old farm truck

post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 03:02 AM

Fifth Wheel trailers are much safer than goosenecks anyways. I will personally never have a gooseneck trailer, only 5th wheel.

2008 Red CCSB 6.4 Auto Lariat.
Stock 20's wrapped in 35x12.50R20 Toyo MT's, 3.73 gears, Nav, Backup Cam, Tailgate step, Upfitters, etc.
Mods: AFE Intake, Line-X, 20% Tint, Clear Bra, Husky Mats, Smoked Recon Mirror markers/3rd brake light, Bushwacker Pocket style flares w/ mud flaps + an aluminum Rapid Hitch (one of the best investments!)
Feel free to PM with any questions about any of my mods.

SRW Club #55
American Club #55

Last road trip-567 miles @ 20.7 mpg @ 67mpg average speed.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2009, 04:07 AM Thread Starter
Threadstarter

Just out of curiousity...

How many hundreds of miles have you pulled a gooseneck? What statistics can you bring to your argument to back up your statement? What evidence do have, if any, to back up such a statement?

You certainly have the right to choose what type of towing arrangement you feel most comfortable with. But to say fifth wheels are safer than goosenecks, I fear you know not about which you speak.

'08 F350 CC Lariat DRW
Airaid CAI
Spartan Tuned 275HP
Red
Dually Club #83

Quote:
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2009, 12:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to deere puller Send a message via Yahoo to deere puller
I agree where do you get your info that goosenecks arnt as safe as a 5th wheel. Ive pulled goosnecks thousands of miles and never had a problem of any kind. Personally the way alot of the 5th wheel hitches are fastened to the truck I would say the exact opposite of what you claim. Ive got a adapter on a small 5th wheel that doestn see alot of miles so I feel comfortable with it, if it were a big trailer that got alot of miles I would probably feel differantly.

53 willlys dodge 2500 frame,24 valve cummins w/ p pump
59 Chevy 36 with duramax/allison (to be done spring 2010
59 Ford 250 (future project, 6.4/torqshift)
88 Jeep wrangler 3.9 cummins twin turbo
08 F350 CC SB FX4 6.4
08 F350 CC LB 4X4 6.4
09 BMW X5 diesel
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-26-2009, 06:55 AM
SLAPS President

Garage
I pulled a 28' Jayco with a gooseneck adapter on it for 2 years........ Never had a problem one. Just out of curiousity, I did take a look at the frame under the neck of mine at one point... What I found actually surprised me... The frame under the neck of that trailer was just as stout as the neck frame of my 16' stock trailer.......

Maybe it depends on how old the trailer is (that 5er is 12 years old) but it certainly was stout enough for the adapter and the pin box had no stress cracks either....

That said, when we got the new camper (which is much larger and heavier), I opted to get the B&W companion setup to pull it. In retrospect, I wish I had gone this route with the old one. Not due to the issues mentioned by the OP but rather due to the fact hooking up and unhooking is so much easier to do.......

2003 Toreador Red/Arizona Beige CC, DRW, Lariat, FX4, 6.0 PSD, Torqshift, born early Feb. 03; Silverline turbo-back dual exhaust; 155's from Full Force Diesel (Casserly); Di-Pricol gauges; ARP studs; Dfuser regulated return; AFE PG7;Tunes by Tony Wildman & IDP; B&W hitch; DIESELSITE Coolant filter; a whole bunch of "bling"; Connex 4300hp; Pioneer DEH6100BT radio; JL Audio 275w amp w/ 12" sub; Alpine door and rear seat speakers. pics
Dually club member #76

SLAPS President and Webmaster

If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen. - quote by Samuel Adams

Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode