The Diesel Garage banner

atv

3K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  99rctd 
#1 ·
I am looking for a four wheeler, to go up some pretty serious stuff what is the best one in your own opinon? thnx

#3 ·
He said “go up” some pretty serious stuff…to me that means climbing.

If you are looking for a climber don’t get the BF 750…it’s a might bit top heavy for climbing steep grades and a little on the narrow side for severe off chamber stuff.

As much as I hate to say it Honda is about the best for climbing real steep stuff because they have a low center of gravity (more than most of the others on the market).

I use my Rhino for climbing and I love it. It climbs a little better than an ATV and it has the comfort of a riding in a vehicle.

#6 ·
Kawasaki Brute Force 750, is what BF is.
I'd say go out and check out what fits you best test ride some and get what you like, even though people will say one brand is better than the other it's all opinion. Just like if you ask what truck people like your gonna get varried responses, just remember if climbing is your forte low center of gravity is important, as is tires. The first thing I replace on every quad I've owned is tires, stock tires are prone to flats, and quite frankly suck for anything offtrail. If your gonna be doing any hardcore riding such as truly steep hill climbing I'd look at a model that has a locking front end, you wouldn't believe the difference that makes even on an ATV.

#7 ·
BF and grizz are both not near the top on my list for climbing. Both of those have high centers of gravity and tend to be very tippy on off chamber stuff due to a very narrow stance.

You want a machine for climbing it isn't either of those.

#9 ·
Like I said…even though I am not a Honda fan I am very big into the utility market and do quite a bit of testing and so forth in this market. If I had to choose a bike for climbing Honda and Bombardier would be high on my list because of their low center of gravity. As far as mudding I would put Honda and Bombardier very low on my list for the lack of ground clearance.

It all depends on what you are looking for in a bike. If you are wanting a good machine for climbing then stick with the two that I mentioned. If you are wanting a bike for mudding then I suggest something else.

A lot of people have the Brute Force 750 these days, but if you are looking for a machine to slap big mud tires on and go in the mud I would not suggest it. From what I have seen the BF is very good at smoking belts with bigger tires added because of the gearing of the transmission (just not set up for mudding). Also after watching lifts be built for these machines you tend to notice that the frames are a little on the weak side. I have heard of lots of people complaining that when jumping them and riding rough it’s not hard to bend the frame on them. Also they have a very small radiator for mudding. When mudding the bigger the radiator the better and I was amazed at how small the radiator was on the BF the first time I saw one mounted on the front rack.

Like I said though, there are many things to take into account when looking for a new machine. You have to sit back and hash out what will do what you want it to do, the way you want it to be done, and then go from there. Only you are going to be able to make the decision in the end…you are the one dropping the money on it after all.

#10 ·
I have no personal experience with the Honda but have heard and read about their lack of low end grunt, not sure on the kind of hills he rides but if they are slow technical climbs low end grunt can be a factor. I know with my 28s on my sporstman500 that in deep mud and a lot of the local hill climbs I need to use low range which Hondas don't have, otherwise you put a lot of strain on the motor and tranny, plus don't the Hondas still use drum brakes and solid rear axles on their quads:shrug:. I know that when I was looking at new quads thats what steered me away from Honda, maybe some Honda owners can chime in on those to see if they have been fixed in newer models.

#11 ·
I would not choose honda for climbing since they have NO engine brake on them. The Brute force, Grizzly, King quad and others do. Also, Honda is just putting on dick brakes in the front of most of thier quads, another need for climbing.

The Brute may feel tall, but the gas tank is below the seat, not high like on other quads. I have no problem with it. But it maybe something you want to test drive prior. ridem, rent em, and look like you were buying a new truck!

#12 ·
polaris baby :}
robert
out
p.s. honda is a atv for a farmer that does not want to get anywere fast, do anything crazy but have it last for 20 years LOL LOL

#13 ·
i am not sure if you know fordfreak, but my brother and i are selling 2 nice 04.5 polaris 600's that are like new
robert
out

#14 ·
Ride Red or go home!!!

I have Honda Foreman and love it!

#15 ·
ISurvivedNMU said:
I would not choose honda for climbing since they have NO engine brake on them. The Brute force, Grizzly, King quad and others do. Also, Honda is just putting on dick brakes in the front of most of thier quads, another need for climbing.

The Brute may feel tall, but the gas tank is below the seat, not high like on other quads. I have no problem with it. But it maybe something you want to test drive prior. ridem, rent em, and look like you were buying a new truck!
dick brakes aye?:roflmao: if you are looking for a utility i would wither go with the BF750 or the new king quad both are great machines

#16 ·
Also, we need to clarify if you are talking about hill climbing on a 4x4(slow) or on a sport machine(fast). That will make a big difference in the direction of thread.

#17 ·
pretty sure hes talking about a utility

#18 ·
I was just lookin' for an excuse to go off about how cool my raptor is. :D :sly:

#19 ·
I had a Honda Rincon, it was great!

I now own a Brute Force 750, the Honda was better for fast trail riding.

The Brute kicks *** for everything else!:Thumbup:

#20 ·
Still selling a polaris 400 4x4 if anyone is interested, can climb like a champ even though it doesnt look like it.

#24 ·
The Honda Foreman 450 is probably about as low to the ground as they get and they will climb till you shouldn't even be there LOL . You can abuse the hell out of the motor too and it'll keep on ticking but the frames are kinda weak IMO. I just had mine replaced.{3rd honda frame I've broke} It does have 20K miles on it though and it's an 01'. I'd say get an Arctic Cat cause that's what I'm going after next.

#25 ·
700 grizzly whole different story about doing anything compared to the other ones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.