Polaris 6X6 - Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com
Thread Details Posted by chizwizdiz, this thread has received 7 replies and been viewed 1432 times.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Mega-Member

Send a message via AIM to chizwizdiz
Polaris 6X6

We inherited a Ranger 6X6, I believe its an 05 500. Well the group of guys before me beat the snot out of the thing and never did any maintenance on it. I'am very very limited on parts so I did what I could to it. Cleaned the plug, new air filter, complete lube. I had been driving for like two weeks and this thing hauled *****. I took it through some mud and had a great time. I power washed it, dryed it off, and now it runs like poop. AF is good, plug is good. Should I pull off the carb and make sure everything is clean? The weird thing is, when its in neutral and you stomp on it, it revs up super fast and real smoothly. When you put it in gear and take off it just never reaches that same exhaust and engine sound. I took off the pre-cleaners and hosed them out and thought I might have put them on the wrong way, and I did. I swapped them back to where I thought they should be ( big hole on the intake hose) and still no help. Sorry for the long post but does anyone have any suggestions?

My name is Josh, write that down.
OIF-1 Veteran. Proud former 101st Air Assault Soldier
03-04/Iraq
06/Iraq
07-08/Iraq
Singles Club Member #59
TDG LUSH ELITE #3

06 Mega
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 07:54 PM
Its Cute Aint it!!

Sounds like carb. If it does it when you out a load on it. Maybe a jet is dirty or try plowin it out.

04 smarty beta 4.4 and mp-8 , superchip stickers on the windows. SOLD
Wifes 04.5 4x4 smarty and dr p box exhaust intake and new rubber 502-1162 as of 12-02-09 With mostly stock tranny. Suncoast converter and valve body.
Dad 08 swb 4x4 h&s 5in turbo back egr block edge hot unlock and crappy clutch
98 12v 5spd 4.10s bhaf, exhaust, fuel plate, 4k gsk, timing, pump mods, and 300s Studs, o-ringed head, 3 piece manifold and 5in KDP tabbed, 60lb springs, titanium keepers
Moms 03 6spd- intake, smarty jr!!
01 reg cab dually 4x4 5spd bhaf raptor 150 and comp box Farmboy 5in 2in steel spacers for the rear with 6 new 305s! injectors on the way!!!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Mega-Member
Threadstarter

It doesn't run rough or idle rough. I have filled the tank twice since the problem occured. I will take a look at the carb and the plug again. Is there an inline fuel filter before the pump? What about clutch and belt probs? I have been reading everything I can, and from what I can gather that if the clutch and belt are worn a decrease in power can be had. What I don't understand is that if the belt is slipping, won't it over-rev?

03-04/Iraq
06/Iraq
07-08/Iraq
Singles Club Member #59
TDG LUSH ELITE #3

06 Mega
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 01:09 PM
here

It very well could be the clutches and belt. They may not be slipping, but if the clutches start binding up or are worn out, they act up like you describe, In my guess it is the primary. Take the belt cover off and look it over to see if any parts are missing or broken. If you end up putting a new belt on, they are directional.

Brady

2002 Ford F350 Crew cab, 4x4, XLT, 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel, AIS filter kit, 6 speed, Ali-arc aluminum frontend replacement
88' Ford F250, 4x4, 7.3L Diesel, Banks Sidewinder, 5 spd, flatbed, feed-truck
78' Ford F250 supercab, Dana 60's, C-6 and a slightly modified 400m- dead, soon to be a 460. 6" skyjacker lift with 38.5 boggers, play-truck
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Mega-Member
Threadstarter

Well I got it!! So I was looking through everything and decided the belt was worn, so I changed it. I took off the carb and was looking in it and saw this little door looking thing that I can only assume is some type of vaccum choke. The little piece of hose on the top of the carb was torn. I put the carb back on, started it, held the little door up and plugged the whole with me finger and the old girl screamed. I didn't have that type of plugged hose so I took a chunk of hose and put a screw in it, some clamps and took it for a ride. OMG its fast. I think its faster than when we first got it. Thanks for your help everyone!!

I still have a clutch on order, can't wait till that comes in!

03-04/Iraq
06/Iraq
07-08/Iraq
Singles Club Member #59
TDG LUSH ELITE #3

06 Mega
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 02:20 PM
Black Smoke Junkie

What you should do is just go put it out on the range and blow it up with a MK 19 or a .50 cal. We have some down here in Kuwait and they are all junk. Now the rhinos that we have haul some serious a**, for a 660. But our Major told us we had to wear DOT approved helmets when we use them instead of our kevlars. So we quit using them, because it's to darn hot. Stay safe up there in Baghdad. Tyler

Tyler

'03 CC 6.0, truxedo tonneau, cowl hood
Clarion in dash DVD, 10 in. Fosgate sub
4" Pipe w/ 6" tip
Tuned by Innovative
315 Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrains

SLAPS Member #166
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Mega-Member
Threadstarter

Where are you in Kuwait? I was in Ali a few weeks ago. Nice place but it was hot as hell there. Alot hotter than here. Are you in the AF? We were at Camp Bucca but our unit got remissioned to Baghdad. For some reason and I'll never understand it, you have to go south to go north! So we got to Ali, flight kept getting canceled so we played volleyball and ate McD's for like 4 days. It was awesome. We finally get a flight, they bus us to the air field, we get on the C-130, were sitting there for a while then the dudes tell us to get off. The dang plane broke! So we sat behind the plane while the mechanics came over and fixed the plane. Did a good job, I think we only sat there for like 2 hrs. We finally get back on the plane and take off. When we got near baghdad, we started the combat landing. I had been on a C-130 several times, but the other dudes were not ready for it. Lol!! If you have never experienced it, it is very intense. It always seems to be so hot in those things too, which doesn't help at all.

03-04/Iraq
06/Iraq
07-08/Iraq
Singles Club Member #59
TDG LUSH ELITE #3

06 Mega
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 06:50 PM
Black Smoke Junkie

Yeh, I'm stationed in Ali. I have been here for 2 months now. It's amazing how small the world is, when we lived 2 miles apart for a few weeks and didn't even know it. Yeh I'm in the Air Force, and your right it's hot as hell here. I have been in a C-130 for a combat drop and takeoff, and if your not expecting it then life will suck for you. Yeh, the McDs isn't all that bad for being in the middle of the desert.

Tyler

'03 CC 6.0, truxedo tonneau, cowl hood
Clarion in dash DVD, 10 in. Fosgate sub
4" Pipe w/ 6" tip
Tuned by Innovative
315 Pro Comp Xtreme All Terrains

SLAPS Member #166

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Truck Forum - TheDieselGarage.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode