The Diesel Garage banner

1500 vs. 2500 Suspension

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  jarek m 
#1 ·
I have a buddy that just bought a 07 1500 Mega Cab w/Hemi. He has the 8-lug axles. He's wondering what the difference is between his and the 2500's. He has the same number of leafs in the rear too. I told him I'd check on here and see if you guys could clarify it.

#4 ·
The Mega Cabs have been like that from the beginning, What is the GVWR listed inside the door? I would imagine that it has fewer leafs in the rear and softer front springs.

#6 ·
I've not checked the GVWR. He said he has been looking under the 2500's he's come across, and they have the same rear leaf count as him. I agree that the front coils would be softer, especially with him having the HEMI instead of the Cummins. Basically, he wants to 'make' it into a 2500 for towing capabilities.

#7 ·
Rear springs will be a different rate.....they may have the same number but the rate is different. If he wanted a 3/4 ton for towing and what not why didn't he just buy the 3/4 ton? The frames are different as well IIRC between a 1500 and a 2500.

#8 ·
Its funny you mention that. I told him to just buy a Cummins for the mileage, and he showed up with that Hemi. He's getting about 10mpg driving easy. He never tows anything heavy, so he doesn't really need the 2500 leafs, but he would like to buy a used set cheap if he can find some. His GVWR is something like 3861?

#10 ·
I got an 07 1500 4.7 and tow a 16' 5k lb trailer to work every day. Jut put in Firestone bags in mine, it's night and day and when I get to the job site I drop the trailer, let the air out and its back to "Cadillac" ride while doing estimates all day.

Why not diesel? $$!!!!!!!!! I wish I could
Why not hemi? With my 4.7 I get 13mpg towing.

Time to look in to a conversion.

#11 ·
Bear with me its my first time. I currently have a 2006 3500 megacab 4/4 with a automatic tranny. I have 140,000 miles on it and just spent $3500. on the tranny. The shop i took it to put new clutch packs, a midwest torque converter, a billet input shaft, a shift kit, a new band, and a mag hitech deep tranny pan in. I also have a banks automind, exhaust, and air intake already on the truck. There is a 2" leveling kit in the front and air bags in the back. I also run 285 cooper st tires. My mpg inproved from 17.5 to 20.5 highway and from 9 to 10.5 pulling my 8 by 16 h&h cargo trailer. Is there anything in the $500 to $1000 dollar range to gain even more?

Never mind I'll say with the 4.7 LOL!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.