The Diesel Garage banner

Have some Questions

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  bmoeller 
#1 ·
My 01 reg cab 2500 the tranny lost 5th gear we all know what that means. I am needing a crew cab truck and i figure this is a good time to swap this engine over to a crew cab truck instead of fixing this one anymore.

What I am wanting to know is if the 24v can be ran without the intercooler?

I also ran across a smoking deal on a gen one 12v. I can get for less than $1000.

So my other crazy question is can the VE pump off the gen one go on the 24v engine?
I know you can put the P pump on the 24v. but i dont have one of those handy. :fart

#2 ·
Have you tired to fix 5th gear? I may just be the gear retaining nut.

The biggest problem with a VE pump on a 24V would be

VE's did not have a computer. So you will need to do the same things a P-pump conversions do.

You may need to reset the pop pressure on the injectors and those pumps are old.

#3 ·
I wouldn't run t a 24v without the charge air cooler. You'd have to derate the engine to keep the EGTs in check.

If you have a 12v in the truck, you could get the water to air cooler off an industrial/ag engine, but they aren't as efficient at cooling the charge air.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.