The Diesel Garage banner

fuel pump and sending unit

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  mckey73 
#1 ·
hey guys im unsure about what to to on my 2002 dmax my fuel gauge is not working it will jump up and read some times but most of the time stays on empty is the sending unit for the guage actully in the tank or what, ive ran out of fuel a few time getting a lil tired of it but i was told by some people the pump and sending unit were the same but by others that its not if anyone could help me out or maybe give me there diagnosis it would be much appreciated thanks:shrug:

#2 ·
The sending unit is in the tank. Its possible it failed, but I'd be more apt to think its an electrical problem at the sender than the sender failing. Check all the electrical connections to the sender. Check the grounds for good contact, too.

I dont think the 02's had problems with the gauges failing, like the 03-04s do. I'm not totally sure, though.

There is no "fuel pump" in the Dmax fuel system. Its a "vacuum" system, with the engine fuel injection pump pulling fuel from the tank. It is a good idea to add a lift pump to the system to help the Cp3 do its job, especially when upping the power levels.

#3 ·
You will need to replace the sending unit, it's not the gauge cluster, it's not the ignition switch. Summit has the best price I could find for the sending unit. You will have to call them to find it. They carry AC delco oem and ac delco 2nd source. Go with the 2nd source, it's more cost effective unless you are an oem guy. You will either need to drop the tank or remove the bed to install it.

I never went over 550 mi. to keep from running dry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.