The Diesel Garage banner

A little taste of the latest project.

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  sstockton 
#1 ·
Here are a couple pics from the build up on the twins. This is proving to take a while unfortunately. I decided to route everything a bit differently when I got it in the truck to account for the addition of a 38mm external wastegate, and to reroute some of the other intake plumbing. But finally all the fabrication is done, and I just have to pull everything off and clean it up before the final install.

And of the awesome wastegate. Which was actually donated free from a guy that builds tuner cars and is a CAT mechanic, because he liked the project.

Hope you like em. I'll get some more up, we have tons with the head off and throughout the building process, they just aren't on my camera.
Sean

See less See more
#8 ·
Thanks guys. I thought you might like them. I'm pulling everything off for cleaning and I'll get some pics of the stuff out of the truck. I will also definitely get some vids up when they are finished and running, and the studs have been cycled and re-torqued.

As for the chargers, I am doing the stock hx35 over an H2e. this is a pretty small set up for mid size injectors. But the H2e is a little bigger bottom charger than say the s300 that comes in the bd twins kit. However, it is a watered cooled turbo which made things more interesting. It isn't a common turbo to use, but we'll see how it works out. I got it dirt cheap, so that is why I went that route.

As for the price on the plumbing. When all is said and done, Down pipe, charge air pipe, intake, and hot pipes and what ever necessary v-bands were required, it ran about $500 for everything. The down pipe v-band clamp and flange were the expensive parts. The elbows were under $30 a piece and there are only 9 of them.

There are also some other things I would have done differently regarding the oil feed and drain on the bottom charger as well. I used CAT parts for those because my cousin who is a CAT mechanic said he could get me those parts, so I thought sweet, but when he showed up with a $400 bill for the feed and drain, on non returnable parts I was a little upset. I mean hell that cost more than the turbo. Anyways, if we didn't have that expensive little incident I would probably be at around $1100 for everything, instead its closer to $1400. Anyways, keep the questions you've got coming and thanks guys, this has been a fun project.
Sean

#9 ·
sstockton said:
Thanks guys. I thought you might like them. I'm pulling everything off for cleaning and I'll get some pics of the stuff out of the truck. I will also definitely get some vids up when they are finished and running, and the studs have been cycled and re-torqued.

As for the chargers, I am doing the stock hx35 over an H2e. this is a pretty small set up for mid size injectors. But the H2e is a little bigger bottom charger than say the s300 that comes in the bd twins kit. However, it is a watered cooled turbo which made things more interesting. It isn't a common turbo to use, but we'll see how it works out. I got it dirt cheap, so that is why I went that route.

As for the price on the plumbing. When all is said and done, Down pipe, charge air pipe, intake, and hot pipes and what ever necessary v-bands were required, it ran about $500 for everything. The down pipe v-band clamp and flange were the expensive parts. The elbows were under $30 a piece and there are only 9 of them.

There are also some other things I would have done differently regarding the oil feed and drain on the bottom charger as well. I used CAT parts for those because my cousin who is a CAT mechanic said he could get me those parts, so I thought sweet, but when he showed up with a $400 bill for the feed and drain, on non returnable parts I was a little upset. I mean hell that cost more than the turbo. Anyways, if we didn't have that expensive little incident I would probably be at around $1100 for everything, instead its closer to $1400. Anyways, keep the questions you've got coming and thanks guys, this has been a fun project.
Sean
Ok, now for the obvious question on everybody's mind....how much longer until everything is squared away do you think?

#10 ·
Well, I should get a chance to work on them again tonight, and hopefully I will have them all cleaned up, buttoned up and ready to go tonight. Then there are just a few more things to go on it. which I may get to tomorrow. After that I won't get a chance to work on it again for a while. There really isn't too much left, I just don't have much time to work on it, with all the other stuff going on right now. If I get 2 full days to work on it, in the next couple of weeks I can have it done no problem.
Sean

#16 ·
when u get done you ought to gring it on down to turlock so i can take a look at it sean?

#17 ·
I will definitely get more pics up.

As soon as I get it done, I will also get some video up too. Also as far as bringing it to turlock. I'm trying to get it done to take to bakersfield in a couple weeks, and I'll be leaving from Stockton, so turlock is right on the way. I'd be glad to stop by.
Sean

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.