The Diesel Garage banner

Turbo thoughts?

2K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  SparkyLV 
#1 ·
Well I was looking and it appears these stock HY35 turbos are very restrictive!

And I wanted to get every ones opinion on which direction I should go towards,

I was looking at a HX35 or 40

S300 that a buddy of mine gave to me

The edge replacement turbo.

Which way do you think would be best for my current set up, to maintain low egt's and one that would be strong for future power gains.

Thank you,

#2 ·
Of those if that s300 is in good shape and a decent size it would work great. What are the specs on it? HY35 is gone from mine. If that doesn't work out I would go with a hx35 they can be picked up used for a decent price. If I am going to pay out to get a new turbo I would stay away from the 40 they are known for weak shafts. I don't know anything about the edge turbos.

#3 ·
Like said above, the s300 or the hx35 are probably your best picks. What are your plans for the truck, what are the current mods, and how is it used? Also what are the specs on the s300.
Sean

#5 ·
it all really depends on what s300 it is. mine ran fine with 40hp injectors, it's a 62/71/14. The 100's work better but I had no issues with my 40's in it. I wouldn't go bigger than that and not be expecting lag. A small exhaust housing would help I think the 12 would be better on the auto but I am going with more fuel.

#8 ·
Even the ones for the fords came with a bunch of different options. However, I know that it is pretty common for those guys to run 66mm chargers, so that would be my guess as to what it is. The ex. housing should have the size cast into it, and you can always pull the housing off and measure the inducer or small diameter of the compressor to figure that out.
Sean

#10 ·
I have heard a lot of bad things about garrett turbos lately but don't think it was in reference to the BB

#11 ·
a I actually talked to a service guy at black widow that told me the turbonetics were selling like hot cakes, that was about 4 months ago. I called a few days ago to set up an order and he highly recomended i go with the garrett dual ball bearing. I asked why can't I go with the turbonetics like you told me. He said cause he has 7 of them on the bench right now for warrentee work/issues and turbonetics is giving him a hard time with them. He has sold a lot of garrett stag 2 and 3 bb turbo kits since then and hasn't had one come back yet, also mentioned that garret stands buy their warrentee no questions asked.

#12 ·
Garrett seems to make a good little turbo. However, the S300 and its variations seem to be the most popular amongst almost all builders of Aftermarket dodge turbos. HTT, II, Piers, BD etc... It seems like a very solid unit, that is easily upgraded, and easily hooked up as well.
Sean

#13 ·
I was just stating what was told to me by a couple shops in the la area that have had many issues with them. don't get your panties in a bunch I was just saying that there have been issues. This coming from one shop that has spend over 20 years building turbo motors and used garrett exclusively.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.