The Diesel Garage banner

Block Heater "On Time"????

11K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  03RescueDiesel 
#1 ·
Cold snap across the South East. I plugged her up over night but decided to drive the gas saver instead to work the next morning. Forgot the truck was still plugged up for almost 24 hours straight with a air temp of 28* as the high. Leaving it plugged up for extended time periods "hurt" anything?

#2 ·
It won't hurt anything except your electric bill. It draws ~10amps per hour.

#3 ·
Yep, leave it plugged in as long as you like but expect to pay about $0.08/hr for it.

#4 ·
wont hurt anything...but consider this it draws 1100 WATTS !

#5 ·
1100 watts? really?

#6 ·
#7 ·
28* isnt really cold enough to have to use the block heater, its been 10-15* here and mine fires right up even with sticky spool valves.

#8 ·
you're lucky, mine jumps and smokes at 40 or below. Could the ficm broblem be to blame?

#11 ·
Just run a jumper from your flux capacitor to a relay timer on your block heater, to give you the proper jigawatt ratio to time equivalent!!:thumbsup

#12 ·
the cool thing <no pun intended> is...IF youre using a TIMER...you come home
from work in the evening & plug it in...just before you walk into the house...

sometimes you never know how COLD its gonna get over night....30s turn into 20s
or teens...so worst case is the timer only runs the block heater 3 hrs weather (pun)
you need it or not !

I ALWAYS back my truck into the driveway, so I moved my block heater PLUG to the REAR of
the truck...this way i just ran a few feet of extension cord under the garage door
(instead of down the drive way etc)....nice clean install (its an ocd theme w/ me)

i used a marinco outlet mounted under the bumper...and it was a STRAIGHT pull
(if i ever forget to unplug the block heater) so nothing ever got ripped apart
when i pulled outta the driveway (IF i forgot to unplug the cord).

The Marinco Outlet (p/n 200bbi) can be mounted anywhere (front bumper is
a popular spot) and it can be obtain at any boat store or on-line (for less
then 25 bucks).

The outlet is also available in white (200bbiw) if you must ;)

Intermatic makes several different timers (you need one that is rated
for at least 1100w)....i used a 7 day programable 1500w timer...available
at lowes etc for about 29 bucks.

i programmed the timer to come on 3hrs before i TRADITIONALLY left for work
each morning.

the intermatic dt17c 7-day timer provides for 14 ON / 14 OFF programming per
day or 98 ON / 98 OFF programming per week.

you may need an outdoor timer...either way intermatic makes what you need
in the WATTAGE you need and theyre available at most retailers...

http://www.intermatic.com/Default.asp?action=div&did=5

FWIW i did NOT cut the cord/plug at the front of my truck...never know when
you might not be able to BACK INTO a driveway etc....i basically constructed a
HEAVY guage extension cord (4ga wire) and put the plugs on each end...i
used plenty of di-lectric grease on the front/factory plug (to keep moisture/dirt
& corrosion out) and tapped the living HELL outta the two plugs once they were
connected...i then zip tied the cord to the frame in a protective JACKET (split loom)
where the cord contacted anything (frame / tie down points).

in these photos you can see the cord connected to the rear mounted marinco outlet.

#13 ·
I was kinda hoping you would post that up, Don. Kinda why I threw in the "timer" comment. I forget, what's the "other" cable you have run next to the block heater outlet?

#14 ·
the other outlet (cord wrapped around the block heater cord) is
connected to a 12v (always on) outlet...its basically a battery
charger/maintenance outlet.

I use a battery maintenance charger on all my motorcycles and the cars/truck
if they sit for extended periods of time.

all the vehicles have a HELLA (aka BMW) style outlet on 'em...the battery
maintainers have one of these connected to it -

and all the vehicles have one of these outlets...so again its an easy
connection/straight pull.

you can buy the plugs & outlets here -

http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop-by-product/plugs-sockets-wire-more/PWRDIST

#15 ·
Ahh yes, the battery minder. I forgot about that. Putting one on my rig when I get it back.

#16 ·
I was gonna guess heat tape so your cord didn't ice up to the drive way. :haha That's a great idea. Everything is kind of universal. I could see benefits to this. I usually have several vehicles to drive so if one won't start grab the other keys. This past year I haven't had that luxury. Nice thing is if you want to make sure you drive that one specific vehicle just hook up the battery tender. Good batteries are only good for so long. :goodvsevil Especially when you might see sub zero temps. Which does happen here a few times a year, and when I have to work @ 3:00 AM.:bang:bang

#17 ·
my OE / Factory Batteries will be 5 years old in just a couple of months...
theyre on their last leg...they crank well but im seeing signs that their ability
to hold a charge <when left sitting for week(s)> is compromised.

i ABUSE my batteries w/ the installed audio system, lighting and lo-output
factory alternator....when i replace the OE batteries ill be replacing the
alternator.

in EXTREME/Extended cold climates it would be important to have a
battery blanket/warmer, plug the battery warmer in WITH the block heater.

#18 ·
My upgrade will be the optimas. I try to be energy minded. All our conveiniences / necessities have driven us to consume. Not really pushing that trip. My Cummins will fire right away in the coldest of temps. The engine is certainly happier with the block heater. I try not to drive that on my daily trips. Living in this Park ( Grand Canyon ) everything is only a few miles away. I know I'm killing my diesel when I drive it around. I try to keep it to the highway trips like going to town for supplies. I have looked into the battery warmers for my GEM electric car I got a while back. Couldn't pass it up. Paid $200 for it. $1300 for batteries and I'm still about $2500 less than buying one that is "For Sale". I try and warm up the batteries on warm days through the winter and drive it once in a while just to keep the batteries maintained. On that one I have no garage to store it in b/c that is exactly what I would do. Store it on the cold nights and drive it in the afternoons when it is warm. I think battery blankets are in order for it. On my Cummins not really. That would be the way to do it though. Just wire it up so that you have an optional switch on the dash for the warmers. Turn the battery warmers on for the really cold nights. Have it all on the same shore power cord. Make it nice and tidy with tape and loom.

#19 ·
I've never really had any issues with temps... Up here in the Colorado mountains I can see below zero for a week at a time. She started right up in -17 for two days in a row this winter. I have never plugged my truck in... I usually remote start it and let it run for about ten minutes before I get out there to go to work.

#20 · (Edited)
Updating this thread to include some more cold weather / engine warming related info.

------------------
------------------

there are thermostatically controlled outlets
or switches available (they dont turn on until a certain temperature).

Heres a $10 dollar thermostatically controlled outlet
http://www.shop.com/ThermoCube_174_...utlet-37035240-49489341-p+.xhtml?sourceid=298

and some additional thermostatically controlled outlets (different temp ranges) -
http://www.lmimg.com/Thermostatically_controlled_outlets.asp

------------------
------------------

for extremely cold environments there are oil pan heaters (the oil pan heaters
are GLUED to the pan), or stuck <magnetically>.

if its that cold where you live youll have additional concerns...you
may need to warm or heat the battery & fuel if the truck sits.

Oil Pad Heaters
Magnetic Heater

------------------
------------------

Reactions: Spindrift
#21 ·
Don...Good update seeing as it was 27* when I let the dogs out this AM.

#22 ·
its getting cool here too got down to the mid 50s last night :gaah
if i ever have to move <back> to a climate w/ seasons ill FREEZE for certain !

#23 ·
Ya I plug mine in below 40, my 190's dont like the cold to much lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.