The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 450 just seems to have no power. If I am easy on the throttle it's fine but if you rev it at all it has nothing. I am very new to the 7.3 so go easy.
The truck is fine in low rpm use even plowing with my 10' plow is no problem at all, it pushes with ease but get on the road and go over 2000 rpm and just no power.

G

·
If you are on the road and going over 2k rpm's...what speed are you? Reason I ask is that with that 10' flow plow on the front...you have a huge frontal surface area in which to push.

Has the Check Engine Light lit up or anything? Can you get it scanned for any possible codes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even when your on a back road and you rev over 2k it does the same thing, once it shifts and the rpm drop it's fine.
No codes or check engine light.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yea id definetly change your fuel filter if you havent already!

·
172 Posts
checking out the fuel filter is worth a try

other than that it is probably your HPOP cannot keep up with the demand for oil to fire the injectors are the higher power levels

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fuel filter has about 5k on it. The exhaust sounds odd when it revs up over 2000 rpm as well.

·
TDG Mafia #95
1,071 Posts
Well if you've got a weird sound coming out of the exhaust I would almost have to bet that your Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) is closing. If its cold, its running in normal operation, and judging by you plowing snow, its ok. To test this, look underneath the pedestal. There is a plug under the pedestal that controls the EBPV. Unplug it and see if you notice any more power.

·
172 Posts
bluovaltruk01 said:
Well if you've got a weird sound coming out of the exhaust I would almost have to bet that your Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV) is closing. If its cold, its running in normal operation, and judging by you plowing snow, its ok. To test this, look underneath the pedestal. There is a plug under the pedestal that controls the EBPV. Unplug it and see if you notice any more power.
this is what i was getting at, it probably explains his power loss

·
Registered
422 Posts
:agreed: Ebpv may be your prob.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I will try it and report back.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So new fuel filter, unplugged the ex valve and no difference. Sounds and drives the same.
Just to be clear, the plug has a metal wire clip locking it in place?

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
10-4 thats the one does it smoke? is your air cleaner in good shape?oil level ok?afer all of these i would look into a map sensor but thats a long shot

·
strokin now cummin later!
1,116 Posts
do you have any gauges such as a pyro or boost. so see if its a air or boost pressure problem.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts