The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be checking out an 01 (I believe) F550 shuttle bus. It had a reman/new 7.3 with 70k on it and the trans has 11k(idk what it is at all) from what I gathered the bottom plug came out of the hpop and they tried to fix it but it dumps all the oil out in 6or 7 mi. I'm not familiar with the 7.3s or this plug problem (aprt frm wht I googled) what's a fair price for a motor in this condition?? I would pull and sell the engine/trans a junk the rest. Just seeing if it's worth my time to futz with. Thanks!!

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
If it's an F550, they are geared really low, like 4.88s or 5.13s usually. That pegs them at 2500rpm+ at 70mph in OD. Considering that, it's like you're buying a 125-150k mike rebuild. Plus, you have no way of knowing if it was a rebuild with forged rods or PMRs. I'd say $750-$1500 tops for the motor. Rebuilt 4R100s with converters for 7.3s can be had on CL and the likes for $500-1250 depending on the miles and how it was built, I'd shoot low at $500 not knowing. That puts you at $1250 would be a great deal, I'd pass at anything over $2000, unless you have a mounter for the front and rear axles and the wheels and tires, then maybe $2500.

·
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the comeback. Talked to them today they want a grand and the tires r decent too. Ill most likely get it next week. Ill break evenish on the scrap and sit on the motor till i sell it for the profit.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
$1000 for the whole thing seems like a great deal, you can't really go wrong, you should be able to make some money on parting and scrapping it, engine and trans will be darn near free at that point.

Sorry about the typos and glitches in the earlier post. This place is a bugger to post on from a iPhone since the Autoguide app is garbage and they shut off Tapatalk.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts