The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Guys,

My neighbor has a 2k1 f350 7.3L bone stock. when it sits and you start it cold , say overnight or at least several hours in between. It will smoke a white smoke but its not constant 30sec to just less than a minute. It almost seems like it is just coming from one cylinder. I am thinking if this is an issue it is either an injector or a glow plug? I checked it for codes and there where none. he filled his truck back up and added some howes fuel treatment, to make sure it was not just bad fuel before. What would be the next step, replacing the fuel filter? I think his has around 5 k on it. I also believe the truck has 70K on it.

Thanks Guys
:toytruck

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could very well be a bad turbo seal as well, have you checked the fuel bowl as well?
you know I thought about the turbo seal too, I just thought it would be constant. How do I check the fuel bowl, can you explain this?

·
634 Posts
you know I thought about the turbo seal too, I just thought it would be constant. How do I check the fuel bowl, can you explain this?
Just check to see if fuel is even getting to it, there could be a crack in the bowl it's self. But I am leaning more towards it being a blown turbo seal. Have you checked the blades on the turbo and see if there's oil inside the intercooler itself?

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok check around the fuel bowl last night and I see no fuel in the valley. :shrugs. I will talk to him when he gets home and I guess we will pull the intake and a IC pipe and see if there is any oil. It almost resembles smoke rings when it puff, which was what made me think it was just one cylinder? I thought about the turbo seal as well and I think you may be on to something here. "IF" it is the turbo seal, can a shop rebuilt his turbo or is it completely new turbo time?

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check turbo shaft play and there is none, also checked the hot side IC pipe for oil and its clean, if there is oil there Im expecting it would be black and this is NOT the case. Can you give me a location for the pcv valve, is it on the top of the drivers side valve cover or is the a CCV filter?

So after we checked all of this we started the truck and guess what it still does it. The truck has sat approx 2 days. So right now Im back to a fuel or glow plug issue?

·
634 Posts
Check turbo shaft play and there is none, also checked the hot side IC pipe for oil and its clean, if there is oil there Im expecting it would be black and this is NOT the case. Can you give me a location for the pcv valve, is it on the top of the drivers side valve cover or is the a CCV filter?

So after we checked all of this we started the truck and guess what it still does it. The truck has sat approx 2 days. So right now Im back to a fuel or glow plug issue?
You know what, Now that I think about it. have you done a buzz test on the injectors? also check your glow plug's like you just said.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You know what, Now that I think about it. have you done a buzz test on the injectors? also check your glow plug's like you just said.
Gonna check the Glow plug relay with a multimeter but how can I buzz test the injectors?

·
634 Posts
Gonna check the Glow plug relay with a multimeter but how can I buzz test the injectors?
You need a scanner, then once you have one, you cycle through the injectors and see if their buzzing, it should go in firing order.

But from the sounds of it, you more then likely have a glow plug problem. for now test the voltages on the glow plug relay and solenoid and see what you come up with, it should read around 12v's if I am not mistaken.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts