The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend that has an stock 01 2500 ex cab LB that tows a 21ft if not bigger equipment trailer. He said he runs cool around town Intel he hits a steep grade and it runs really hot. What would be the best way to run cooler?

Thanks & sorry for the lack of info

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
hot exhaust temps?Hot coolant temps?
Exhaust temps could be a boost leak.
Hot coolant could be clogged up radiator with bugs and birds.

Mike

·
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hot coolant Temps, I'll tell him to check the radiator out. I did a search before I posted and It seams like a problem with these trucks.

·
3,514 Posts
usually it isn't a huge problem, I've had it happen with my truck towing a really heavy load (18.5K) in hot conditions, but on the same day I towed only a slightly smaller load (14-15k) with a 01 6spd and the needle didn't even move.
But steep grades with a lot of weight and they'll get a little warm, check the radiator and maybe give it a coolant flush. Coolant can break down releasing gases that get trapped in air passages and restrict coolant flow and therefore build heat more than normal. so that's something worth looking into as well.
Sean

·
274 Posts
I would definetly flush the radiator for starters and use new coolant then possibley check the water pump the water pump may not be moving the coolant like it should be. Another thing to consider is how much weight is he pulling, how hot is the ambient temp. and just for my knowledge how hot is hot. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I would also look at how dirty the radiator fins are. There can be a buildup of junk on it that restrict the air from going through it.

·
706 Posts
in 99 they moved the blowby bottle up front onto the timing cover,the oil mist gets blown around by the fan,over time it can easily clog 1/3 of the rad fins solid.I extended mine down under the truck,yrs ago,and gunked the entire radator area.He needs to check the area directly in front of the breather bottle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts