The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i am looking to purchase a tow truck... the question is does anybody have any expierence with the automatic tranny in a simular application? if so should i even try it? also it needs to be a 4x4 if that makes any difference. thank you.:help

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Not sure what your asking but it's a 47RE fun tranny to get to know. If it's all stock right now, it's probably all junk. But after mods they can be pretty nice trannys.

·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As i have not picked a specific truck yet, it is safe to assume that it will be all stock. so what kind of mods are needed to make it RELIABLE? That is the most important thing. also i might add a tuner and exhaust to the truck if that makes a difference. Is there more than one tranny that dodge put in thier trucks?

·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
is there a significant difference in fuel mileage between auto and 5 speed/6speed?

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
this truck is going to be for business right?
if so i would go with a standard trans and a small box or a programer. you don't need to much stuff on a truck you are going to use to work with.

·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes it will be for a buisness. But not everybody knows how to drive a stick, so i was looking to see if there were any advantages to a stick that would offset that. like fuel mileage. Or see if the auto was that bad to where i would be repairing it all the time. i know tha the auto in 96year trucks was pretty bad i dont know if dodge fixed it before 02 though.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
layzboy2011 said:
As i have not picked a specific truck yet, it is safe to assume that it will be all stock. so what kind of mods are needed to make it RELIABLE? That is the most important thing. also i might add a tuner and exhaust to the truck if that makes a difference. Is there more than one tranny that dodge put in thier trucks?
Torque Converter and Valve Body are what's going to be needed. And you're going to want a turner that does timing, and might as well just do the exhaust while your at it and slap on a BHAF.

layzboy2011 said:
is there a significant difference in fuel mileage between auto and 5 speed/6speed?
auto and 5 speed :shrug: The auto has a slighty higher O/D than the sticks. However most of the 6speeds are paired with a high output engine and they seem to do a little better on fuel than the standard outputs. Check some earlier threads if you want to know the difference between the 2 engines.

layzboy2011 said:
Yes it will be for a buisness. But not everybody knows how to drive a stick, so i was looking to see if there were any advantages to a stick that would offset that. like fuel mileage. Or see if the auto was that bad to where i would be repairing it all the time. i know tha the auto in 96year trucks was pretty bad i dont know if dodge fixed it before 02 though.
The 1996 probably had a 47RE which is almost the same 47RE they put in the 2002's.

Over all I still wouldn't buy a stick for what you're doing. I'd just buy one with a blown up 47RE and beef it up. My auto is much more fun to drive than my 6speed.

·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much money to "beef up" a blown auto tranny? How long does it take? What is a BHAF?

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Cost depends on your torque converter and how you price it.
1000-1500$.
Valve bodys run around 400$.

A BHAF is a paper air filter out of the Marine QSB and QSC that you can use to replace your whole air filter housing:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Assuming you have all the parts you need.
(Which is unlikely for most people including myself)
It'd take a person with great mechanical skill about 2-3 hours.
Normal people it'll take around 5 hours.
If I did it, it'd take all day.

·
15 Posts
we have a 2002 with a 6 speed in it and we have towed the smaller fed ex trucks, shuttle buses that are like a ford conversion and they make an ultimate winching truck, i would highly suggest the stick truck i mean i know where your at with people not being able to drive them but me personally i wont go any other way than a stick. with the mountain that we have out here we can get to the top when the roads are nothing but ice with chains by just putting it in a low gear and letting it crawl, which may not be as easy to do with a beefed up auto. just my :2cents

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
they are both good trans. the 6 speed does have a bigger input shaft. i have 5 speed in my truck and i pull a 34' 2 car trailer almost everyday.

on the other, if i was going to get another truck i would get a 6 speed.

auto are fine if your going to do racing and stuff like that.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i have a full suncoast tranny in my truck. my stock one didnt do to good when i was pulling our dumb trailerdoing debre clean up after the huricanes

·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
edged dodge said:
i have a full suncoast tranny in my truck. my stock one didnt do to good when i was pulling our dumb trailerdoing debre clean up after the huricanes
Are you talking about an automatic tranny? or a manual?:shrug:

·
TDG Mafia Member #45
296 Posts
i think you will be happy with 5 or 6 speed. thats what i would do, but i just like a standard over an auto.

·
Registered
69 Posts
i have an auto but if it is a work truck get the standard if works will be using it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts