The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 2002 dodge has the crazy idle going on not the tps not injecter pump it is throwing 9 different t codes assp, ecm failer intake somthing or other charging failer to much voltage here and there i have read about the alternator cleared the codes that would clear with the smarty unhooked the alternater i even reset the tps it has a mind of its own. it fires up and the engine light stays on i have no control of the throttle it reves up on its own never dies though it may be missing but i doubt it would a any one might know whats up with this thing o and its a six speed:shrug:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
it would help if you posted the codes you pulled and list them in the thread so we can help diagnose the problem

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts

·
3,514 Posts
Could be time for a New ECM too. Its really hard to say. I would check all of your grounds and connections first, but it may very well be that the computer is shot.
Sean

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
re: lost dodge mind

yes 121 and ya some others so when i get home i will plug the smarty back in and post them, i appreciate all the concern makes me feel much better i am just a dumb rig welder i do have a new set up 07 3500 6.7 larime 6 auto i really love it with a classic 3d welder (its a diesel to) any ways im on a power plant shut down in Wyoming right now, so i wont make it back home until tuesday night i will submit then for sure o and i found out the dude who had it before me had stacked chips on it so :shrug:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lost dodge mind trouble codes;

OK sorry for the delay 14-16 hour days take alot out of a guy anyways here are the codes i pulled off of the smarty (to high voltage) :damnit. PO 238 map senser voltage to high, 563 chargeing system voltage to high, 118 Ect senser volage to high, 113 intake senser voltage to high, 123 TPS voltage to high, 606 ECM FAILER, 343 ESS voltage to high, 1286 accelerator position senser voltage to high, 1693 JTEC (smarty) cleared codes, 1475 Aux. 5 volt, voltage to high. Basicly the voltage is to high. I unhooked the alternator, unplugged the clip and the main cable, i even took the belt off like in the forum about the chargeing system with the wild freq. and back charge i am at a stand still the pumps are new other then the cold air intake the exhaust and injectors, smarty it is all stock. hope these codes help please and thank you:bow:

·
Its Cute Aint it!!
684 Posts
You like that 300! You got the perkins or kubota? Im thinkin bout gettin me one. Just cant let go of my ol red face!:bow:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
lincoln welder

The beauty of the classic 3 regaurdless of the year is the smooth clean arc and the ac 120,220 power for pipe welding your remote has ac power for hand tools. My welder is a 1991 classic 3d, with a Contenental diesel i believe how its spelled when i order my new classic 3d i will order the perkins they start better in the cold super quite and the 3ds have a 100% duty cycle at 300 amps mine is a 100% duty cycle 200 amps the price tag of $11,000 is something to think of, the turn around rate is well worth it.:Thumbup:

·
Its Cute Aint it!!
684 Posts
Yeah i put a ac inverter on mine. It helps for now. Its been played with! It will stack metal with the best of em up hill on pipe. But im fixin to order me a 300. That ac plug makes all the diference in the world. With perkins and remote bout 11650 out the door. I dont think thats too bad. Gonna keep my other one as a backup.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Johnnyutah said:
OK sorry for the delay 14-16 hour days take alot out of a guy anyways here are the codes i pulled off of the smarty (to high voltage) :damnit. PO 238 map senser voltage to high, 563 chargeing system voltage to high, 118 Ect senser volage to high, 113 intake senser voltage to high, 123 TPS voltage to high, 606 ECM FAILER, 343 ESS voltage to high, 1286 accelerator position senser voltage to high, 1693 JTEC (smarty) cleared codes, 1475 Aux. 5 volt, voltage to high. Basicly the voltage is to high. I unhooked the alternator, unplugged the clip and the main cable, i even took the belt off like in the forum about the chargeing system with the wild freq. and back charge i am at a stand still the pumps are new other then the cold air intake the exhaust and injectors, smarty it is all stock. hope these codes help please and thank you:bow:
Voltage regulator is internal on the PCM...

So I know that the 12V trucks can put a old school voltage regulator on for a fix. But I've never seen it done on a 24V truck. I assume it could be done for a temporary fix...

But the ultimate way is to replace the PCM...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
pcm its all electrical no doubt about it there is no response with the pedel the temp. gauge is off the wall there is no way it could be hot enough to max that gauge out, pcm must be a factory only item with a clip and a little bolt, just like everything else. That truck only has 196760 miles on it time for parts to fail. And i am also going to keep my 3d welder as a back up, as for a remote Cable electric in im thinking Louis. The # is on my remote if you need it they also have 120 plugs on it to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So the pcm is the com. on the side of the block behind the fuel filter correct, or is that the ecm? Now do i understand this right by saying that everything passes through the pcm on its way to the pcm, or am i thinking backwards.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
ECM is on the driver side of the engine block.
PCM is on the passenger side firewall.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok got ya well i will begin with replaceing the pcm first and go from there does that explain why the wait to start light does not come on after the key is turned on?

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Johnnyutah said:
ok got ya well i will begin with replaceing the pcm first and go from there does that explain why the wait to start light does not come on after the key is turned on?
PCM (Powertrain Control Module) controls the gauge cluster, transmission, SRS Air Bags, etc...

ECM (Engine Control Module) controls the engine (That's it!)

But the ECM communicates its information to the PCM for display on the gauge console. This is the reason why the P1693 error code is so common. Is because if 1 module has problems it will effect the other very quickly... Since all the P1693 error code is notify you there is error(s) in the other module(s). PCM and/or ECM module.

Hopefully this makes a bit more since now... Here is so pics for ya...

ECM-PCM connection...

Diesel charging system

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so its looking like the ecm is the whole problem good thing its a super easy deal easy enough to get off then flash and.....

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Johnnyutah said:
so its looking like the ECM is the whole problem good thing its a super easy deal easy enough to get off then flash and.....
I think you mean PCM... :poke:

Since the PCM controls the alternator and your overcharging problem that is giving you all your erro codes...

Like on my Mom's 96 Dodge Gasser it cost me a little over $500 for a PCM for her truck... But I got the Mopar Performance module. The stock module was $650... :sly:

But remember once you get the module it will have to be installed and flash with VIN information BEFORE you can even start the engine. This is what I went through fo the 96 Dodge and it replacement...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts