The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 Excursion keeps "breaking". The little thermal probe inside breaks off. I then get a code. I originally bought the replacement from Autozone and it has a lifetime warranty the sensor is covered. My question is am I installing the sensor incorrectly or is it just a POS part? I have tried to orient the sensor in different directions but nothing has stopped it. I have replaced the sensor 4 times in three years. Thanks in advance.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
I'd grab a Ford/Motorcraft sensor. There are some parts from Autozone that I would have no hesitation running, but sensors aren't one of them. Same as the CPS. I haven't seen many AIT sensor failures in 20 years, but I have seen what you're talking about. I always marked and oriented the sensor so that the probe was protected from the direct force of the air on forced induction applications. Final thought is use a bit of ultra grey instead of Teflon tape, and only tighten it just past the point of hand tight with just a socket to get the alignment.

Reactions: jdydiesel

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Idaho. I will see what a Motorcraft part costs and weigh it against the free replacement from Autozone. I have also made sure that I align the sensor so the it is protected from the sides of the sensor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts