The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i currently am a new owner to an 02 quadcab longbed 2wd cummins and as wondering if anyone could tell me anything i can do to maybe increase to mileage 2-3mpg withough out spending alot of money. im not looking to make the front page of any magazines or anything, just wanting to keep alittle cash flow in my pockets as diesel prices continue to rise... thanks for your help.

larsen

·
2,063 Posts
The one best thing to help my fuel mileage was a bed cover. I gained one and a half miles per gallon. Other things I do is to keep the boost below 8 psi, drive no faster than 64 miles per hour. I am running synthec motor oil. Those things seam to help on mileage I have done other things that help performance.

·
Formerly CursedtoFirst45
1,225 Posts
a few cheap tricks are opening up your exhaust(delete muffler/cat), and getting yourself a bhaf(big honkin air filter). Both can be done relatively cheap. Filter is less than $45 i believe and the exhaust can be free if you have a sawzall. The exhaust could gain you as much as 2mpg and the filter maybe .5mpg

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Sythetic oils, Edge Mileage Max a little over 200 bucks and get over 1MPG, if you don't 3.55 gears, get them regardless of cost. check your alignment. I'm not for sure where to stop really, but you could 30MPG if you did it right.

EDIT: Others: Shift kit, gear venders overdrive if you do alot of highway driving, I know I'm not staying in the low price range anymore but heck some alot these kind of pay for themselves.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Driving slow nets the best results... On a 50 mile trip to Council, ID to get parts for a job I got back home and check my ScanGauge II and saw!

This was done by setting the cruise at 55 MPH that all... But I had to cover grades of 4,500 ft down to 2,800 ft, rolling hills and valleys...

If you want good MPG slow down it comes easy... The trick is to get your pyro under 600*F and keep your boost below 5 PSI and 20+ MPG can happen for you...:popcorn:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive got a 3.55 rear end, and how eactly does the 2 stroke engine oil work exactly?

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts