The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

This is my first post here, so I appreciate this forum and your help. My 02 Diesel turns on, but when I try to crank it over the starter does not engage, I just hear a "click". I get the P PCU and P ECU and P done. I spent a lot of time going through the forums here to see if anyone else described this problem, but did not find anything. I love my diesel.. the only modifications are K&N air filter, and the first time my injector pump was changed out under warranty, the second time I paid through the nose..and apparently the dealer was fully aware of that problem, they put a pusher pump in my tank. I am mechanically inclined but dont know the details. I have a feeling it's the silonoid, but am not sure or even know what it looks like or where it's at. I really cant afford to tow it to the dealer and hopefully I can fix it myself. Thanks.. and sorry for the winded description.

·
45 Posts
The most common problem with cummins starters is the solinoid contacts. They are easy to replace. You can order the contacts online @ Larry B's. There will be two contacts and a plunger in the package along with instructions. You just pull the starter off the truck and pull the solinoid cover off witch is held on by 3 5/16 bolts. The kit will run you apprx $50 after shipping. If you want a temporary fix, pull your starter, take off the solinoid cover and clean your contacts. This should work and save you from a towing bill.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advise.. I really appreciate it. I will pull the starter and clean the contacts as you perscribe. Then I will place my order for the new contacts @ larry b's.

·
1,055 Posts
Also check you batteries, sounds dumb, but mine did the same thing and changed them out, not a problem ever since. They were about 4 years old though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
last weekend I cleaned the battery terminals and looked at the battery indicators on the top. thier green. I'm assuming their good because of that and the fact that I have never had any problems with them, they are the original batteries though.

·
2nd Gen Guru
2,641 Posts
Starter contacts are very common... You can get the rebuilt kit as NAPA fairly cheap...

But as for keeping the battery terminals clean it a MUST. I normally wash my engine bay everytime I wash the truck. Then put a light coating of engine oil over terminals. So far they still look factory freash and I still got the factory batteries 6 years later! :Thumbup:

·
165 Posts
If what everybody else said doesn't help, which does sound like a contact, last fall my truck would turn on the acc. but when i tryed to start it, there was no sound at all. got the starter rebuilt, and cleaned bat. posts and nothing. found out the the fuseable link on my + cable fryed somehow, fixed that that it fired right up

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all your input..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey guys .. so I've swapped out a few starters in my time, but I never had such a terrible time of it as I am with my "02". I am using 10mm on the two bottom bolts, these I was able to get to from under the truck, The bolt on top I can barely get a light on it and I cant fit my arm down there to get to it. I even had to lay on top of my enging to try... let alone wrench on it. Am I doing something wrong? I think there's 3 bolts altogether.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I checked out Larry B's site and he had some pretty nice info on removing the starter..

"This top bolt can be an SOB to get loose. The bolts are tight and there's not much room to work. I have found the best way is to put the wrench on the bolt then use a piece of wood and a small jack to lift up on the end of the wrench to break the bolt loose."

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
omg .. I have some pretty distinct words I occasionaly use when I am dealing with something like this, however I will save you the honors ... I finally got the starter off, I was able to get at that top bolt from the top of enging bay, I laid an old blanket down and just laid across my valve cover. I had to reach down to the left side of the dip stick and was able to get the wrench on it, it takes quite a bit to loosen that top bolt, escpecially if your using a 10mm wrench which is kinda small and offers no real leverage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took the lid off the solenoid and the point that get's the ac direct was worn down pretty good and pretty dirty too. The contact surface area on the plunger was also worn and dirty. I will replace with the kit offered at

http://www.fostertruck.com/dodge/

At this point cleaning and reinstalling the starter may allow me to start the truck, but after all I went through to get the starter out, I will replace with new kit.

again ... I would like to say thanks to you guys for helping me out in diagnosing the problem.

·
45 Posts
let us know if it cured your problem. I find it easiest to reach the top bolt from under the truck using a 3/8 drive rachet, extension and 10mm shallow well socket.

·
Registered
86 Posts
check battery connections, check your contact soleiniods, check your alternator, and starter...im sure its that...if you dont want your old starter use a soft hammer and look out

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey guys ... I replaced the contacts in the solenoid and re-installed the starter, which btw went in a heck of a lot easier then it came out. Truck started right up. Thanks for your help !! I'm back on the road again.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts