The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took it to the dealer and they said it was a bad crankshaft position sensor. Replaced that, turns out that's not the problem. I had my friend's computer on it and the only code it threw was an old security code. We cleared it but it didn't help. Anyone have an idea what it could be? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
Have you checked the fuel filter, is your lift pump not working properly, check the injectors? Thats what I can think of for now.

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
Filter housing crack? If you recently changed your filter you may have air leak in the system.

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It seems to be an ignition issue. The filter is new. It fires up, runs for a few seconds and shuts down. The rail pressure and all that seems fine.:bang

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
If it starts, why would you say it's an ignition issue?
You say the filter is new, how new? Has it run since you replaced the filter?

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Since the Duramax engines do not have a lift pump, and the engine fires right up, I doubt its a fuel problem. My guess would be the coolant temperature sensor. If the sensor was bad it would do exactly what your describing. Is your check engine light on?

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
It seems to be an ignition issue. The filter is new. It fires up, runs for a few seconds and shuts down. The rail pressure and all that seems fine.:bang
well it cant be an ignition issue because if it runs, then it is igniting the fuel, diesels are a "compression ignition" engine, they create extreme pressures in the cylinders which creates heat and that starts the combustion of the diesel fuel, theres no spark plugs, no coils, no distributor..... im sorry if you knew that, just trying to spread the knowledge of the mighty diesel

I would have to agree with Merlin tho...:thumbsup

Reactions: merlin5577

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
Could it be a blown fuse?

·
stock is boring
214 Posts
My '04 is doing the exact same thing and blowing a lot of white/gray smoke.

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
dragnsled, i would say yours is an injector problem...

·
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well we figured out what it was. The previous owner had an autostart system installed and somehow it would shut the engine down. No idea how an autostart can overide the ignition, but the dealer just started pulling wires off and it started right up. Everybody was telling me it wasn't possible but somehow I knew it had something to do with it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts