The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine has over 300k on it Gets alot of 4x4 use in winters and on fire roads during bird season. Front end just had the U-joints to drive the wheels replaced, now it sounds like the bearings are thinking of letting go(some kinda noise, yea it sounds like the description my g-friend gives when she has car issues) much nosier than before, almost a tire like nosie above 80 unlocked, or 65 with the hubs locked. Anyhow the side bar to this is a buddy just gave me a new OX cable locker for a Dana 60, I've got a 50 in mine, and I understand the later ones had a 60, so rather than buying a new locker, and having the axle rebuilt, am I money ahead to buy a axle out of a wreck and swap it, or is there to much fab work requierd to make it worth while?

Thanks
Tim

·
6,337 Posts
Same axle... There are very few differances in the 60 to the 50... and none of them effect the bolting up of it... Just bolt up and go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Snowing, again tonight. On the gas in 4x4 I get noise, not a grinding, but a rumble, when I let off the noise goes away. When I take it out of 4wd, but leave it locked in(did away with the vacume lockers years ago, put warns in) there is no noise. Spindel bearing? Off to the mechanic in the am.

But you think the 03/04 is a straight swap? Brake system the same? as I just(5k ago) did rotors and calipers all the way around.

·
Honorary Superduty Member
68 Posts
Sell me the locker and use the money to rebuild your front axle:sly:

·
6,337 Posts
thuddddddd said:
Snowing, again tonight. On the gas in 4x4 I get noise, not a grinding, but a rumble, when I let off the noise goes away. When I take it out of 4wd, but leave it locked in(did away with the vacume lockers years ago, put warns in) there is no noise. Spindel bearing? Off to the mechanic in the am.

But you think the 03/04 is a straight swap? Brake system the same? as I just(5k ago) did rotors and calipers all the way around.

I know its a straght swap...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All righty then. Thanks. Now I guess I should ask it they are a unobtainum part or fairly common? Post in the sale/wanted section?

How much you want to pay for the locker?:pointlaugh :pointlaugh

·
MAFIA MEMBER 106
2,262 Posts
its cheaper to rebuild it than it is to swap + it will be all new again a front axle starts at 1500 at least here in ca they are

1 - 7 of 7 Posts