The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For no apparent reason, my truck decided to start leaking coolant. It was a very noticeable drip. With the truck parked on a slight incline (front high) the drip was coming off the back of the engine.

I topped up the reservoir and then applied low pressure air (regulated 15psi) into the reservoir. Any higher and the pressure relief cap started to release. The cap is a 16psi relief. I removed the vent tube coming from the radiator and plugged it and then connected my air nozzle directly to the reservoir.

With the pressure applied and some close inspection with a good light, I found the source. It was the donut o-ring on the bottom of the intake manifold towards the front. There is only a few places coolant can escape in that area. I checked the easy things like the little blue hose between the oil cooler and the EGR cooler and they were all dry.

Several hours later, the intake was out and the culprit was identified. Once again, a 10 cent part takes out the whole engine.

What causes the rubber to deteriorate? Check out the picture. Its been a long time since I had this apart so I don't know how long exactly but I can figure about 100k miles and 5 or more years.

I also took some better pictures of my ICP relocation. I thought about removing the HPOP cover and the oil cooler for an inspection, but decided better to leave well enough alone. I'm having no other symptoms that would warrant digging deeper.

Attachments

·
55 Posts
Were you able to find just the o ring? If so do you have a part number?

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The donut came as part of a gasket kit. I didn't use all the parts. I used the blue hose and the large metal ring gasket. The other two parts are for the EGR cooler (which I have not deleted) and this time I did not separate it from the intake.

The parts guy at the Ford dealer was able to bring up several exploded parts views that had everything called out.

I'm still curious as to why the donut deteriorated in the first place. I suppose in another 100K or so I'll be doing this job again.

When I bought the truck new, I said I was going to keep it until the wheels fall off. So far that has not happened but the engine has had its share of problems. Would I buy a Ford again? Probably. Not because Ford is the greatest truck ever but I have all the tools and experience working on this one and I would hate to have to start over learning the problems and techniques of another manufacturer.

I cant imagine the thousands of dollars I would have spent taking it to the dealer or some other shop for repairs. I can give lots of credit to TheDieselGarage and all the guys that participate in helping spread the knowledge. Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
3,051 Posts
Nice pic's!

I really like the icp relocation setup.

As for the oring, looks to be crappy material, just make sure no fuel in coolant is occuring as that can have an effect on cooling system rubber components.

Harry

·
1,213 Posts

·
Curmudgeon
472 Posts
I'm surprised it failed. You would have to know what rubber compound it is to know what would deteriorate it, but .....

Coolant system and brake component rubber material are typically EPDM rubber. This is a water-compatible and glycol-compatible material...but doesn't like petroleum oils. Looking at the picture it deteriorated on one contact surface only, not both or from the inside, before rupturing its ring configuration. It is possible you used a petroleum grease or oil on one surface when putting it back together to hold it in place? I know when I did an oil cooler But I used silicone grease to do so. Silicone grease is kind of universal in not effecting rubber so that is what I always use with rubber contact, especially if in use with any glycols, i.e. brake and cooling fluids.

·
3,051 Posts
I remember when Fixinit did the icp relocation yrs ago, but I don't recall a full view pic like this thread.

Cooling system and fuel system orings can get rock hard and fail, heat and time are usually the culprits, and they break apart when trying to remove them, but this one looks more unusual than the norm.

What kind of coolant maintenance has this engine seen?

Harry

·
721 Posts
Upon closer inspection isn't that turbo oil line the older style that is known to come apart inside? Do you happen to have fitting numbers for your relocation setup on the ICP?

·
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lenz Don't scare me. All I need is something else to blow up! I just had it apart and cleaned everything in the valley. I think I have had my share of misfurtunes.

My coolant maintenance is probably not up to par. But it seems like I have the engine apart often enough and the coolant gets changed then anyway. I had been using the red stuff from International. It always came out looking just like it did going in.

What should I do on a regular basis?

When I did the relocate job awhile back, the pics down in the valley were not real good. I have a new phone with a better camera now so I took some new pics. The original thread has some good pics of the ICP up on top

·
1,324 Posts
Thanks for the extra icp relocation pics if I get the time I'm going to do this sometime this summer. Ford should have done this to all 03/04 trucks or made a kit available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts