The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dad has a 03 with a 7.3 auto. we have a intake and exhaust on it already. we are looking to put a chip and gauges in it. we pull a 30' camper and a 16' trailor with a compact tractor. it has a superchip in it now....it came with the truck. first question what is a good chip to put in the truck? ts? i hace a boost fooler for my 95 psd would it be better to put it in the 03 so it dosent defuel? is there any other simple mods to do to the truck to make it better?
thanks for any help!!

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
The Superchip you have is probably not bad, before you toss it for something else to do the same job, get a good compliment of gauges: EGT(pyrometer), trans temp, boost, and fuel pressure. Or, you can also go with a combination of gauges and a ScanGauge II, or you can skip the dial gauges and look into an Edge CS/CTS monitor for more info like HPO system data and more. The Edge units can be used with sensors to eliminate the need for multiple gauges, and put it all in one display, and you can set warnings for critical parameters.

I'd suggest look into doing a 6.0 transmission cooler, and maybe look up Guzzle's page and look into other basic mods that will improve durability for towing before adding more power.

Once you are certain the truck is ready for the added power, a TS or Hydra chip will do fine. You don't need 17 tunes, don't kid yourself and think you'll ever use that many. I use SCT with my truck because I've been tuning with their software and using their hardware fr 10 years, and I run my hottest 150hp tune for everyday use, if I hook the trailer I have a 40hp tow file, and if all else fails I can switch to the stock tune to test or for emissions.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts