The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
T.D.G. Mafia Member #88
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my passenger side tore apart on my 03 and I cannot remove the hub assembly. Does the entire axle shaft have to come out on these AAM's or what. I have every bolt out of this thing and it just wont budge. Do I need to pull the diff cover and remove some sort of retainer or what? Thanks

·
WANNA SMOKE!!!
169 Posts
Front or Rear First? Front is Dana 60 and Rear is Dana 70. Either you have to take the diff apart or the Big Nut off the actual axle shaft at the Hub assembly. I dont know on the Dana 60. Ive done it on the Dana 70. It was the washer that holds the actual axle shaft in the diff that held it in and i would think that its the same in the 60. Man it wouldnt hurt to look but i hope ur not pissed if u do it and its not that. I did the hub assembly first and then the diff.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Getting that hub off is a ******* if it rusts on. I have used a 1.5"x1.5" block of steel placed between the outer stub axles U-joint yoke and the housing. You then use the power steering to "press" the hub out. I though it was bull till I tried it and it worked.If you are doing ball joints or the U-joint,you can't heat the hub as you will ruin it($$$).This method worked for me.

·
1,705 Posts
The front is an AAM 9.25 and the rear is an AAM 11.5
No more Dana axles in Dodges after 03.

JD5.9L said:
Front or Rear First? Front is Dana 60 and Rear is Dana 70. Either you have to take the diff apart or the Big Nut off the actual axle shaft at the Hub assembly. I dont know on the Dana 60. Ive done it on the Dana 70. It was the washer that holds the actual axle shaft in the diff that held it in and i would think that its the same in the 60. Man it wouldnt hurt to look but i hope ur not pissed if u do it and its not that. I did the hub assembly first and then the diff.

·
Registered
69 Posts
remaove the axel nut and take a brass hammer and beat the hub off its a big pain in the *** if its rusted bad have fun beating it off. as you get it to move take a punch and beat the axel in so that it dosent come out in one big piece.

·
T.D.G. Mafia Member #88
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah sounds like fun. I found that power steering trick on the DTR and it didn't work for me. I also read on the DTR that the hubs generally fall apart when beaten hard enough. So I ordered two new ones and put the project on hold till the new hubs come in. This is my DD so down time is out of the questions. Thanks for the input.

·
WANNA SMOKE!!!
169 Posts
Yeah it was an earlier model truck. Sorry for the wrong input

1 - 7 of 7 Posts