The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently baught my first Diesel truck. 2003 F-250 crew cab king ranch. I have noticed that it has been having a rough idle it fluxuates when im at a stand still at a light from like 600 to 700 would this be normal? someone told me that the egr valve might be bad. could that be true? any information on this would be helpfull.

·
Registered
269 Posts
hard to say. if you can find someone with a scanner, see if they can hook it up and see if any codes are stored. im assuming the check engine light is not on?

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
Mine does that on occasion. I've just learned to live with it. How many miles are on your oil?? That usually starts happening after the oil has some miles on it. Generally, you notice it after being on the highway and then coming to a stop, like at a light or a fuel stop.... I don't know that the root cause was ever found. It was presumed to be be from oil aeration, but that was never proven......... My best guess is the ICP is fluctuating for some reason but I have yet to see a code for it.

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just got the oil change at the ford house over the weekend it has about 500 miles on it

·
SLAPS President
3,027 Posts
Hmmmm, never had it happen that quick after an oil change.... How many quarts did they put in?? If it is over 14, take one out and see if the problem goes away... I never put in more that 14. Haven't since the first oil change. Going back to the oil aeration theory, too much oil can lead to the aeration. In this case that might be true (at least for now).... Conventional wisdom is that 15 quarts is at least one too many...

·
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I looked at their work order and it said 15 quarts ill try that and see what happens

·
keepin faith in the 6.0L!
96 Posts
My 04 did the same thing, fluctuating idle,etc...dealer replaced egr, doesn't do it anymore.

·
keepin faith in the 6.0L!
96 Posts
yes......there is a "how to" on this site...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts