The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here is whats up...

04 dually, edge for 3 months, 4" Exhaust...

Took out the edge 3 months ago after having it in for 3 months(always on 3)...Got the EGR cooler replaced by dealer, having probs with it last week, took it into the dealer and they ripped it apart found warpped heads by .3-4 thousand and the burn pattern on the top of the piston is outside of the cup thing.

What should i do?

-Resuface the heads, new gaskets and hope the bottom end holds up?

-New Heads, Gaskets, and hope the bottom end holds up?

How weak are the bottom ends on these things? Mostly the rings? Can the heads be resurfaced? Will the gaskets hold up .004 of warpage...

PLEASE HELP, DEALER NEED ANSWER TOMORROW!

·
163 Posts
Well a brand new set of heads from ford were showing more than a 4000 of inch off they were not within 1000 of in inch till they came out 8-12-06 they came out with new heads. I have ran the edge on high power for 5000 miles, had the six gun on for 15000 miles and ran it on level 6 on my 04. when they pulled the heads of the pistons have a burning pattern. but there was no cylinder walll scoring so i did not replace the short block. If you have cylinder wall scoring then replace the short block. defently get new heads the updated ones.and due studs while you there

·
Registered
13 Posts
I believe that this might help. ATS has a set of heads that might help you in your situation. Their heads along with the fire rings are said to eliminate the head gasket problem. They also machine their heads so they might have a cheaper fix than brand new Ford OE heads. Just a thought.

·
Diesel Pro
2,652 Posts
if its in warranty just take it back to ford and have them fix it :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
banksforddiesel99 said:
if its in warranty just take it back to ford and have them fix it :)
they know its chipped due to the burn pattern on the piston top..."so they say"

·
TDG MAFIA MEMBER #44
522 Posts
yep it makes a star pattern on the piston.

·
Suck,Squish,Bang,Blow
650 Posts
Heres my pistons with 20k of the SCT extreme race file. Its driven hard, look at the combustion that past the gaskets!! But also note there is NO star pattern on the pistons.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is the star pattern something you would expect to see only if you run it really hard?

·
206 Posts
Ub's truck with over 100k on it had no star pattern either. Maybee it has something to due with the edge, and too much timing, or dealer bs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts