The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinions on these two. I am trying to decide. The int is an 03 DT 466 w/ 5 sp. auto. The Freightliner is an 04 with C7 190hp and Fuller 6-sp. Both are around 120k miles and Cab Chassis that will be fitted with a flatbed. The Int. is 8/17.5 axles and the Freight is an 8/19k factory rated at 26k GVW. No CDL needed and the price is only 1000.00 more for the freightliner. both under $20k. Any advice is appreciated. John

P.S. I am glad this forum is up and running again. Merry Christmas

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
I'm biased, but the techs I talk to that work on both are NOT impressed with the M2.

That '03 DT466 is considered a "pre-emisisons" engine (no EGR or DPF) and you really can't find a better engine for the price.

One clutch job will run $1000, making the M2 a $2000 premium over the Int. 4300.

·
201 Posts
I have not talked anyone impressed with a 466 with an auto as far as horse power. I would guess if you’re towing a loaded trailer on the interstate your going be happier with the Freightliner, but if you’re driving around town the IH might be a better option. I have too herd the M2s are not mechanic friendly.

·
1,138 Posts
The M2 is wired in mutiplexing wireing meaning it is broadcasing all eletrical data thru 2 data wire from cag to a chassis moduel and all funtions are decided were they go from there. Bad or good i cant say but with out taking it to freigfhtliner it is very hard to trouble or wire up any electrical add ons with out some trouble. glenn

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
I have not talked anyone impressed with a 466 with an auto as far as horse power. I would guess if you’re towing a loaded trailer on the interstate your going be happier with the Freightliner, but if you’re driving around town the IH might be a better option. I have too herd the M2s are not mechanic friendly.
DT466's are not powerhouses, but then again over the last 25 years, I've never driven a stock medium duty that was, no matter who made the engine.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
All 3200, 4200, 4300, 4400 models are multiplexed but not at all in the same way as the M2s. Basically the IHs use multiplexing to "share data" between the engine, transmisision, body controller and cluster. The body controller does lighting the traditional way, so no unpleasant supprises there.

If you drive a newer DT ('04 emissions up), I think you will be SHOCKED at how quick they are and how hard they pull given equal ratings, gearing and load to other brands and even older DTs.

HI Duke!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well we went and looked at the trucks, the 4300 is cosmetically a wreck and needs some serious body shop time. By that I mean it has bent bottom steps, cracks in hood and fenders, tweaked bumper, dented door and broken grill. The Freightliner is extremely clean and needs nothing. I think they will fix the cosmetic stuff and bring it into DOT complaince. I am leary to buy the Freightliner with the CAT, being that CAT is leaving the market in 2010 (?) may make resale a downer. Maybe I should look at something else. Any input appreciated. BTW they have a 98 4900 with 251K they are blowing out for $7200.00 with 195hp DT and a Spicer 5 sp. that may be an option. Thanks for all your input. Also we only put around 4000 miles a year on this rig and I do not want to have to replace truck or have one that nickle and dimes me. We fully service the truck every year before lay up. Ok that's it for now. Thanks again. John

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
The miles + spicer on the 4900, even for $7200 would make it a deal breaker for me.

I HATE Spicers, they are completely abuse INtolerant.

I don't think they are junk, Duke has proven they can provide very good service when driven properly, but too many people can't or won't shift correctly.

·
1,138 Posts
[

I don't think they are junk, Duke has proven they can provide very good service when driven properly, but too many people can't or won't shift correctly.[/QUOTE] You are correct there, i have worked alot of spicers in IHC and freightliners and some guys want to speed shift and some want to shift with out the clutch. One guy knocked a snychro out two times in one year so i tricked him in to telling me how he shifted and he said most of the time it will go in gear with out the clutch. I like the small eaton better but the spicer will hold up if you take care of it. glenn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem solved, I just purchased an 05 4300 out of the Penske Fleet. Dt466e 195hp and 5sp Auto, 145k miles. New rubber, clean as a whistle. $19k. I feel this is the best of the options I have found and from what I've heard Penske is the best at service and maint. as far as leasing co. I bought from the Int. dealer here that supplies the local Penske Depot. Thanks for the responses and I am sure I will have more questions in the future. Happy New Year. John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts