The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came back off a work trip yesterday and heard a pop noise. I noticed a slight black smoke when I was taking off at the next light. I don't see anything loose or missing. No fluids leaking. I did have 4 kids and the wife in the truck when I heard the noise so that might not be relevant to the problem. When I got off work today truck was doing same thing then I lost some power. Noticed that I had no boost. I let off accelerator for a few seconds and the boost was back. Needing some input on what to look at first. And some knowledge from someone who has dealt with similar issues. Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok so now I've had a chance to run the truck and recreate the issue. This might not be the best way probably not. I put it in drive and held the brake held at wot black smoke. After about 5 times around 30 seconds a piece no turbo and rpm wouldn't go over 1 grand. So I'm thinking/ hopeing it is the egr valve sticking. The only other thing I can think is the boost. If anyone has some insight don't hesitate to share. Thanks

·
1,324 Posts
I'd guess egr valve. Get a scanguage so you can verify turbo Vgt values.

·
3,051 Posts
Reactions: Weld engineer

·
1,324 Posts
where do I get the scanguage already programmed for the 6.0
It only takes about 30-45 minutes to program. Autozone has them and you can get 20% off right now. I'm curious if a file can be dumped to it and program it. Any IT or EE wizards out there?

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not great with computers just good at getting dirty��. If someone can tell me how to program one that would be great or I will order the one that's already set up. I checked the boots today and didn't see anything obvious, but will check tomorrow truck will be sitting cause I don't want to cause anymore damage than is already done. Thanks guys

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok so I pulled the egr valve. It was gunked up a bit. It was stuck open a little. So it's cleaned out inside of the housing cleaned as good as I could with some picks and shop vac. I drove it down the road and I had the no boost problem about two times in five miles. When I got on the highway I hammered down. The thought process was to blow any excess I missed out. After that I didn't have an issue. About to run it again now that wife is home. The turbo is acting like it it not spooling up and then it just kicks in when the problem occurs. I will post again when I get back and see if it will do it again. Any thoughts on what will be next to look at. The scan gauge is on order hopeing it will be here this week I need to drive the truck back out of town to finish up a house.

·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well just got back and no issues at all no black smoke and no losing turbo. Thanks again for the insight. I have some more questions but I will start another thread for that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts