The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Diesel Noob
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2006 CC 2500HD that seems to lost half its power. I had it programmed with my PPE standard at level 3 and noticed one day that my DMAX was a lot weaker then it was 2 months ago. I now get more black smoke then I remember getting too.

From zero to a third throttle it seems fine. If I go over a third throttle I get a ton of black smoke and little if any added power. Just more smoke. I took the level 3 off, went back stock and this thing is so weak I'm not even sure it'd pull a load much less pass a car.

After putting it back stock I got the following codes on the way home from work: P0101 and P0299. The air filter is maybe a year old. I cleaned the MAF sensor before going back stock with MAF cleaner. I do have the EGTs blocked and 4" (turbo back) exhaust on her. Not sure if either of those would throw those codes or not. The fuel filter still has 75% (per the DIC) life left on it. I did a quick once over on the intercooler boots and they looked fine.

The only thing other then the power that I've noticed about the truck is that the turbo doesn't seem to whistle as loud as it used to. I'm not sure if I'm getting used to it or if something is going wrong with it.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions on what to look for or test so that I may get my power back.

-Lark3po

·
182 Posts
First 2 things I would look into are the airfilter and fuel filter. A year is a long time to have an air filter IMO.

Reactions: Lark3po

·
Diesel Noob
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree. I'll replace both this weekend and see what happens. I appreciate the reply!

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
When you blocked the EGR did you disable the computer or install a finger stick?

+1 on the fuel filter, clogged filters can cause all kinds of troubles.

·
Diesel Noob
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well I went ahead and replaced the air filter tonight after work and boy am I glad I did!

Check out what I found:

Apparently a mouse had made a nest in my airbox. That gray fabric crap is from a vehicle cover I had over my '88 Chevy C1500. Looks like my truck shouldn't have even run it was clogged so bad. I think my engine was about ready to suck my air filter down and eat it for lunch. :wiggle

·
Diesel Noob
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When you blocked the EGR did you disable the computer or install a finger stick?

+1 on the fuel filter, clogged filters can cause all kinds of troubles.
Yeah, I blocked the code with my PPE. Thanks for the reply!

·
Diesel Noob
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there any way to add "SOLVED" to this thread title on the main thread list?

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
WOW!!! :eek: I dont think I've ever seen a filter so clogged! Damn lucky the truck even ran, congrats on fixing the problem though.

:happymugs

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
:wtf

Man, That is crazy! But hey you got your money's worth out of it!

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
good thing you didn't suck any of that into your turbo.

·
Diesel Noob
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good thing you didn't suck any of that into your turbo.

Yeah no doubt. Though that would have been a good excuse for getting a bigger turbo... :guitar :coal

·
CRAZY CANUCK
4,320 Posts
WOW that just shows you how much suction that the turbo can produce.. thats just amazing, you got super lucky man, as i was reading your first post i was thinking.... lots of smoke and no power... that means you not getting enough air, must be a clogged air filter... LOL

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
WOW that just shows you how much suction that the turbo can produce.. thats just amazing, you got super lucky man, as i was reading your first post i was thinking.... lots of smoke and no power... that means you not getting enough air, must be a clogged air filter... LOL
:stupid :whs

·
Euro Sparky/ Wrencher
1,065 Posts
Je ne suis pas suprised combien de succion qu'il peut faire sur des moteurs à moteur turbo je fait boucher le filtre à air avec la glace/neige auparavant et ce sera le même résultat.

Vraiment je suggère que vous deviez acheter une jauge de restriction de filtre à air montée éloignée(à distance) dans votre taxi donc vous saurez(connaîtrez) dû vous avez mis hors de service les codes de l'ordinateur.

Vous pouvez capable de les trouver dans le secteur de négociant de camion ou peu d'emplacement specal.

Ici un exemple vous peut installer dans votre camion.

Je sais qu'il y a peu d'autres manufacters les font vraiment ainsi vous pouvez vouloir regarder autour de soi.

I am not suprised how much suction it can make on turbocharged engines I have air filter clogged with ice/snow before and it will be the same result.

Really I suggest that you should buy a remote mounted air filter restriction gauge in your cab so you will know due you disabled the codes on the computer.

You can able find them in truck dealer area or few specal location.

here one example you can install in your truck

http://www.filterminder.com/gafi_dash.asp

I know there are few other manufacters do make them so you may want to look around .

Merci,Marc

·
Diesel Noob
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Je ne suis pas suprised combien de succion qu'il peut faire sur des moteurs à moteur turbo je fait boucher le filtre à air avec la glace/neige auparavant et ce sera le même résultat.

Vraiment je suggère que vous deviez acheter une jauge de restriction de filtre à air montée éloignée(à distance) dans votre taxi donc vous saurez(connaîtrez) dû vous avez mis hors de service les codes de l'ordinateur.

Vous pouvez capable de les trouver dans le secteur de négociant de camion ou peu d'emplacement specal.

Ici un exemple vous peut installer dans votre camion.

Je sais qu'il y a peu d'autres manufacters les font vraiment ainsi vous pouvez vouloir regarder autour de soi.

I am not suprised how much suction it can make on turbocharged engines I have air filter clogged with ice/snow before and it will be the same result.

Really I suggest that you should buy a remote mounted air filter restriction gauge in your cab so you will know due you disabled the codes on the computer.

You can able find them in truck dealer area or few specal location.

here one example you can install in your truck

http://www.filterminder.com/gafi_dash.asp

I know there are few other manufacters do make them so you may want to look around .

Merci,Marc
Excellent Idea! I’ll look into that.

-Lark3po

1 - 15 of 15 Posts