The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello folks, i'm debating trading my dodge quad cab diesel in on a 07 f350 powerstroke, i've been absolutly pleased with the cummins performance, towing 30' camp trailer and polaris in the truck, no chips only [email protected] filter get about 10-10.5 my only gripe and also the kids, is the lack of leg room for them, and me when i have to run my seat up so far, plus i cant shut my tailgate with the quad in there, so i've looked at the fords and they will accomidate both my situations, question is though would it be a bad move on my part, are the 6.0 problems still a big concern, and could i expect the same power stock as i have now...thanks wango

·
775 Posts
6.0 will not give you the same power but if you leave it stock, it will be dependable. If you start programing it your reliability go's out the window. You can turn it up with an SCT programer just don't go crazy and if you pull heavy loads, turn it back to stock. The weak part on the 6.0 is the head bolts causing the HGs to blow and you have to lift cab off to replace them. If you can afford it go with the 6.4s (350hp-650tq) , they fixed head bolt problem.

·
2,035 Posts
I've got right over 110,000 miles on my 6.0 right now. I tow tractors, dozers, hay, cars, bikes, enclosed trailers, campers, etc...with mine. Always done it on a towing tune as well. I did blow the EGR cooler one time at about 60,000 miles, but it was mostly my fault. I thought the HG's were blown but when it went in the shop they said they were fine it was just a bad EGR cooler.

I run mine on a race tune on a daily basis and I'm fairly hard on it. 10k #'s and under I'll tow on my street tune and over 10k up to around 15k I'll tow on my tow aggressive tune. Over about 15k I turn it back to stock.

I wouldn't in any way say the 6.0 is a weaker motor pulling than the 5.9 Cummins. I've got several buddies that have them and I tow with them all the time and mine tows just as well as their trucks.

Towing my buddies 28' enclosed loaded down with a bunch of furniture and scrap wood (up to about the weight of a camper trailer...maybe a little more) I get about 11-12MPG, but I have 35's on my truck that reduce my effective gear ratio to about a 3.30, which is pretty dang high for towing. I didn't see really any difference towing his trailer loaded vs. unloaded. I got about the same mileage.

The Ford definately has the advantage on leg room and interior size if that's what you are looking for.

·
Got Torque?
2,577 Posts
Is it a brand new 07' left over? Or used? If used, get the Oasis. Also, if used, how many miles are on it?

Ralph

·
Registered
440 Posts
How do you get an Oasis?

·
433 Posts
ive towed with both and if your doing more highway driving the 6.0 or 6.4 would be the way to go,the 5.9 has grunt but no passing gear on the highway pedal to the floor and no kickdown not to mention the tqshift tranny is amazing! right now they are having a 0 % intrest for 60 months so you can get a 60k dollar truck for 1000 dollars a month!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I changed the gears in my 04 to 4.10's and I get 14 mpg towing my 30" trailer with the mileage setting on my edge juice. That is on 35" mudders.

·
1,223 Posts
Wango,

I was in your exact situation about 14 months ago so I understand your dilema. Personally I loved the HPCR Cummins in my '05 so it was quite the decision to make the switch to a PowerStroke. Right after I traded I was a bit disapointed in the "feel" of the power, but that did pass. On the upside I was very happy with the actual truck itself and my decision became much more apealing as time went buy. I just had to learn how to drive an automatic diesel.

To date I have become more and more impressed with the Ford truck as well as the PowerStroke. The power is good and there is no need to move your seat for a rear facing car seat. If you think the truck is a good one I would say go for it. But as others have said getting an Oasis report before your final decision would be wise. Welcome to the Forum, great people with great info. Good Luck,

·
2,035 Posts
trkyhunter said:
I changed the gears in my 04 to 4.10's and I get 14 mpg towing my 30" trailer with the mileage setting on my edge juice. That is on 35" mudders.
That's probably the smallest trailer I've ever heard of...LOL

·
444 Posts
heavyhaller said:
6.0 will not give you the same power
For those model years, the 6.0L outhauls the 5.9L. Engines are rated similarly, but the 6.0L drivetrain puts more power to the asphalt. The 6.0L will not start off the line as good, but really out pulls the 5.9L on the highway (where you spend 99% of your drive time).

Make sure you get an OASIS report.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for all your posts, the f350 is a used one, has 31,000 miles on it, lot more luxuries than my dodge, heated leather seats, power sunroof, adjustable pedals, the price isnt bad at least i didnt think so at 35,900
the wife and i did go look at 08's tonite but same truck was sticker at 48,000
so im probably gonna go for a used one.
So no chips, and it should be more reliable, what about intakes and exhausts, does this engine benefit from these mods to make them worth the money...

·
Dually Club #3
2,674 Posts
You will love the 6.0l power it is nice, almost feels like a gas engine once the turbo is movin good. Also the interior is great on the Fords especially the Lariats. I have an 07 with 13k on it and no issues at all. My 06 has been modified and I have had no problems with the engine. Just don't go extreme and you should be fine. I would put the exhaust on it and maybe a tow program if you want. I don't have any experience with the SCT but I hear it's great. Good luck and welcome to the Light side of the Force with Ford.

·
2,035 Posts
wango said:
thanks for all your posts, the f350 is a used one, has 31,000 miles on it, lot more luxuries than my dodge, heated leather seats, power sunroof, adjustable pedals, the price isnt bad at least i didnt think so at 35,900
the wife and i did go look at 08's tonite but same truck was sticker at 48,000
so im probably gonna go for a used one.
So no chips, and it should be more reliable, what about intakes and exhausts, does this engine benefit from these mods to make them worth the money...
As far as exhaust and intake...the closer back pressure is to 0 the better a turbo charged motor runs. They aren't really meant to have restriction. It will make the motor run better and lower EGT's (exhaust gas temperature). You'll notice lower EGT's while driving and while towing.

The 6.0 is more than sufficient for towing stock. I prefer to tow on a tune, but that's just personal preference because I don't like my truck hitting a lower gear on inclines when towing a pretty heavy load...I like it to stay in 6th gear and roll on.:smoke

·
775 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love my 06 f350 but the head bolts are a weak spot thats why I had studs installed. Most guys on this forum know about puking and if you have not had this problem after turning it up and pulling heavy loads consider your self lucky. If I could get my trk with a cummins motor and the 6 spd auto I would be in heaven.

·
2,035 Posts
Seems to be hit or miss in most cases with the 6.0 on the HG's. My truck has not had issues, but I have had buddies that have blown them stock and modified. Most people I talk to though have not really had to many issues with their 6.0's.

The problem is most people that have problems are more than willing to talk about them, but most people that don't have problems don't talk about not having problems because they are not that concerned about it...at least not concerned enough to go on the internet to talk about their trucks. The majority of people bought their trucks and either left them stock or lightly modded them (exhaust and intake) and haven't had many if any problems.

·
444 Posts
wango said:
You should be fine with a custom SCT that isn't tweaked up much. Just make sure your tuner knows you still have stock head bolts. If anything, get the SCT for the transmission control. It's awesome and should make the tranny last longer.

Your truck will not benefit from an intake...at least not noticeable. An exhaust is a good thing however. Also, get a coolant bypass filter immediately. They aren't expensive. And then also invest in an oil bypass filter. And run synthetic oil because your injectors are cycled by oil pressure...it makes a big difference.

Be careful though...you might catch PMS (powerstroke mod syndrome). :smoke

·
2,035 Posts
The air intake will help...your pocketbook!

The money you spend on an air intake system with a cleanable filter you will make up in two changings of the stock filter and it's much easier than fighting with the stock system to get the filter in and out...

I think when I had the stock air intake system it was costing me about $60-70 for a filter every 3-5k miles. I paid a little over $100 for the aftermarket intake and all I have to do is take out the filter and clean it. Who cares if you get power...you're saving money!

·
2,035 Posts
I do personally. It's easy enough when you have a "clean and reuse" filter. I just clean mine when I do my oil changes. I change my fuel filters every 3k miles too. Used to do the fuel filter and air filter at 5k miles and oil at 3k, but it's just easier to do it at 3k and do it all at once.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts