The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a f350 2x4 dually with 140k. Bought it as "it's was towed in a year ago and the boss that knows about it was fired" It was nice enough to pay the $ for it just as a body only.
Got it back to the house put some batteries in and it started up. Sounded good but saw oil spraying out from around the turbos's, lots of blue smoke everywhere. Checked the oil and it was full/ smelled/ looked good, antifreeze full / clean. Pulled air cleaner and had oiled the filter. Thought maybe turbo out and filled cat up so i unbolted the exhaust just behind the motor (think maybe the cat/exhaust was blocked up). Cranked it back up for 15sec and it cleared up a good bit. Gave it a little fuel to see it the turbo would spool up. Black smoke starts pouring out the engine bay. Shut it down. Climb up to see while someone was cranking it up and it appeared to lock up while trying to start.
Question is where to i start? What is my best steps to diagnose? I am new to 6.4 and not a diesel mechanic but i will dive into anything. Thanks for any and all help. S

·
Registered
2 Posts
I haven't had much experience with the 6.4's, people tend to avoid them in my area so I don't get to work with them very often. As far as your oil in intake, it does sound excessive so it could be the turbo seals. Mentioning the exhaust being blocked, from what I have came across is that the DPFs on these trucks tend to stop every 100-150k miles. Your black smoke and then lock up situation sounds like an injector dumping excessive fuel, possibly a cracked tip. Do you have access to a scanner or code reader? If any codes have been tripped that's always a great place to start. That's all I can think of off the top of my head with what you have given me. Maybe someone with more experience with these engines could chime in, like I said I haven't had much hands on experience with the 6.4. If you could pull some codes though it would help.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts