The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 ford f-450 crew 4x4 automatic that i use for lots of one way towing ,it has 80k miles now no trouble at all.need better empty mileage,and a little more tow power with better mileage.is spartan still the tuner of choise ? What power levels do i ask for?

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Yes, Spartan is the tuner of choice. The best Mileage tune is probably gonna be the 275 tune. I prefer pulling with the 150 or 210 tunes. And as you may know you get 3 tunes when you buy it. the 275 will cost another 300 bucks. That should give you around 3 more mpg's.

·
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Spartan is the tuner of choice. The best Mileage tune is probably gonna be the 275 tune. I prefer pulling with the 150 or 210 tunes. And as you may know you get 3 tunes when you buy it. the 275 will cost another 300 bucks. That should give you around 3 more mpg's.
how heavy of a load max do they recomend with the 275 tune? loaded witch tune gets best mpg? I haul repo rv's one way everyday.

·
cool as december
1,032 Posts
I get the best mileage with the 275 around 17 on the high way with 37s 14 around town.
14 or so towing on the highway as well.

I tow mostly around 5000-10,000 pounds not much more or less then that. I tow with the 275 with no complaints, there are no high limits so you have to watch your gauges but its a good tow file. The 210 is great to just drive with no smoke, good power, decent shifts, built in safety's for towing.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Some guys on here have pulled over 20K with the 275 tune. But i do believe the temps will get Hot if your going far. Im thinking the 210 might be your best bet on good mileage. If i were you i would get the 75, 150, 210 and 275 tunes. the 150 and 210 tunes pull like freight trains even when pulling a big load.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
You can also set alarms on the Dash Daq when your boost, RPM, temps, etc are getting too high.

·
Diesel Kid
4,580 Posts
Order from one of the Vendors on here. They're all great.

·
cool as december
1,032 Posts
yeah im not too sure who is all vendors on here but Rudydpfdeletes is a cool dude i can have him send you a pm if you want...

·
124 Posts
I have a 2008 ford f-450 crew 4x4 automatic that i use for lots of one way towing ,it has 80k miles now no trouble at all.need better empty mileage,and a little more tow power with better mileage.is spartan still the tuner of choise ? What power levels do i ask for?
I run a F450 and prefer the 275hp tune when towing 12,500lb. Just watch you Oil temp, Trans. Temp, and coolant Temps along with Exhaust gas.

As a reference during steady-state towing, my Oil max's 203-206F along with Coolant, my trans is about 176F, exhaust around 825F, which is only 100F higher than running empty at 65mph.

I'm certain you'll be happy with the Spartan setup.

·
773 Posts
I run a F450 and prefer the 275hp tune when towing 12,500lb. Just watch you Oil temp, Trans. Temp, and coolant Temps along with Exhaust gas.

As a reference during steady-state towing, my Oil max's 203-206F along with Coolant, my trans is about 176F, exhaust around 825F, which is only 100F higher than running empty at 65mph.

I'm certain you'll be happy with the Spartan setup.
Just wondering where you are and what type of roads you tow on. I was pulling approx. 8k on hilly back roads, max speed 80km/h (50mi/h), and temps got alot higher, on the way back I loaded 210 tune and temps came down to where you are with the 275. Also with the 210 I was able to maintain my speed without raising temps. This weekend I will be towing some hi-way miles and will try the 275 for it again and will post results from that afterwards.

Rene

·
124 Posts
Just wondering where you are and what type of roads you tow on. I was pulling approx. 8k on hilly back roads, max speed 80km/h (50mi/h), and temps got alot higher, on the way back I loaded 210 tune and temps came down to where you are with the 275. Also with the 210 I was able to maintain my speed without raising temps. This weekend I will be towing some hi-way miles and will try the 275 for it again and will post results from that afterwards.

Rene
Southern Michigan (some rolling hills), and South - South-West side of Ontario. On decent hills I might peg 1,000F, but rarely do I see more. These are absolutely NOTHING like the hills out West however.

·
773 Posts
With the 210 the highest I saw or EGT's was 1100F, up a decent hill. I can't remember what the highest was with the 275....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts