The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have 2004 F350 with, 2006 notor. Motor has 110K, Has always been a poor starter but recently got worse. It was puking black smoke until warmup. I had FICM from previous motor. Both the 4 pin ones. I installed previous one and trucked started but ran worse. When it warmed up it ran better. It was idling and just quit.. Towed it home and reinstalled original FICM. It will not start and has no voltages on FICM. Appears to have an open fuselink as right third of fuse panel has no voltages. Five fuselinks off battery are good. Have 12v on FICM fuse in panel. also have 12v on 20A fuse in FICM control cct. No voltage on the 10A. What am I missing?

·
79 Posts
Suggestions

First thing I would check are the connections for the three FICM plugs. Sometimes they don't snap in all the way. While you're checking - disconnect the plugs and make sure none of the pins are bent. If you don't get the plug on straight, you can bend one of the pins.

Did you disconnect the battery when making the connections? It's easy to short out electronics and burn up one of the internal components.

Did you check the voltage on the FICM when it was running rough?

·
1,212 Posts
FICM relay perhaps?

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
0V FICM

Traced problem to plug having no continuity between FICM relay. Cleaned pins and reset plugs. Now have 48V but drops down to 20V when cranking. So used logic board from original and regulator board from other FCM. Starts better but doesn't seem to run as good. Will try tomorrow when temps go to 20F.

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
0V FICM

Tried starting but no luck. had to make up another FICM to get it going. Must have two bad FICM's. Still waas a tough start.

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
0v FICM

Replaced invertor board im FICM. Starts and runs fine until yesterday. Very cold day yesterday -35 to 40 with windchill. Truck just quit and had to tow it. it will start but notstay running. Scanner gives a 0230 error. Fuel pump fuse OK. When cranking fuel level with filter out level comes up quickly. What am I missing?

·
79 Posts
That's awfully cold for a diesel. I had a problem with paraffin build up in the fuel when it was 10 degrees above zero. It clogged the fuel filters and the truck started bucking and eventually quit.

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
0V FICM

Changes top filter a couple of weeks ago when I was having FICM issues. Changed lower on this AM. I fired a few times and started a couple but didn't stay running. When I back off top of filter fuel sprays everywhere. I can hear pump running so know it isn't pump. I must have a restricted of frozen line. Cleared code and has't came back.

·
3,051 Posts
Replaced invertor board im FICM. Starts and runs fine until yesterday. Very cold day yesterday -35 to 40 with windchill. Truck just quit and had to tow it. it will start but notstay running. Scanner gives a 0230 error. Fuel pump fuse OK. When cranking fuel level with filter out level comes up quickly. What am I missing?

1. Make sure the glow plug system is working

2. Try plugging in the block heater for a few 3 hrs or so and see if that helps

3. What type of fuel are your running?
(treated no.2 summer fuel)?
(no.1 + no.2 mixture)?

4. You can also try some diesel 911 additive from PowerService
http://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-911/

Harry

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Starts and quits

Truck is plugged in every day as it has been cold. Using farm fuel from bowser. Glow plugs cycle.

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
O Ficm Voltage

Finally got truck working decent until! Replaced invertor board in FICM. It did start better for a short period of time. It is still a poor starting motor. Have to cycle glow plugs several times upon cold start. It burps and farts until high idle kicks in. Once it warms up it runs fine. Used scanner on it and checked injectors,FICM and glow plugs. All checks good. Possible FICM needs to be reflashed?

·
3,051 Posts
Make sure new repaired ficm is producing 48v.

Sounds like you probably have severe injector stiction issues on the oil side of things to me, and if you have 15w40 motor oil in the engine it will make the symptoms worse.

If it were me I would...switch to a diesel rated 5w40 synthetic or 10w30 syn blend motor oil if you haven't already, and be sure to use a factory Racor-Motorcraft oil filter with the factory black plastic oil cap (not one of those aftermarket tall ones) and also add 16oz of Archoils AR9100 along with the new motor oil.

Harry

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
0 ficm voltage

I have always used 10-30w diesel oil I use in all my diesel tractors. 100$ pail. I always use Motocraft filters. This motor has always been a tough start. Even when it had 20k on it when it was installed.

·
1,212 Posts
I would consider sending the FICM to Ed.

·
3,051 Posts

·
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
0 Ficm Voltage

I have used a scanner on it after changing inverter board. Ficm voltage is at 48v.

·
3,051 Posts
If you have a suitable scan tool, I would perform a cyl balance test when cold starting to see which injector-s are misfiring.

Then I would try this if you find injector-s misfiring...
http://www.dieselpowermag.com/newproducts/1405_archoil_ar9100_for_ford_power_stroke_engine_diesel_tech/

And if that dosen't work, then you may need new injector-s.

You also want to make sure your ficm sync is ok and you have good high pressure oil delivery. Make sure the icp and ipr pressures are reading 600-1000 icp when cranking cold with 35-55% ipr.

Also make sure your egr valve is not stuck partially open if you still have egr.

Harry

·
1,212 Posts
IMO checking FICM sync is the first thing to do. Just because the FICM power board is good doesn't mean the FICM will work - there is a logic board also.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts