The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fire App. Mech.
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 F-250 (old style) and the limited slip rear is about shot with 230,000 miles on it. It used to work OK but now it's pretty much open. It might have been from when I had to take a fairly long drive home with a slightly mismatched spare, I don't know.

Anyway I have heard it is not too bad to roll new clutches into these things without taking the whole thing apart. Anybody have any tips?

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Pull the axle shafts, remove the rear cover, remove the differential center pin to remove the differential side gears, (spider gears) and the clutches pull right out. Reassemble but I always like to pre oil the clutch plates upon reassembly. Expect the limited slip action to be a bit aggressive for a few days after installation till the clutches seat in. Use the limited slip additive in the gear oil.

This is assuming your truck has full floating axles. Some F250's did not have these and the axles were retained by "C" clips on the inner axle shafts which are easy to remove once the differential center pin is removed, and the axles pushed in towards to the center of the differential.

·
TDG SinglesClub Member#90
497 Posts
Where is the best place to get the clutches?

·
TDG SinglesClub Member#90
497 Posts
sounds good, thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts