The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Made one up in less than 10 minutes with supplies I had in my garage. Used 2" angle iron, 1 1/2" washer, and 4ea 1/4 long nuts. Used an old intake gasket as a template, and drilled out the long nuts with a 5/16 bit. After welding the washer I put it in a vice and bent it back at an angle. Works as well as factory Ford I have used in the past!!! Excuse the weld my mig is running out of gas.
mount 001.jpg

mount 002.jpg

mount 004.jpg

mount 005.jpg

mount 006.jpg

·
1,324 Posts
The zinc and paint also increase your porosity levels and bead appearance. Sorry can't turn it off. :toytruck

Where does this attach and would it work with the cab on? Just in case my studs one at a time experiment ever does fail.

Thanks!

Wes

·
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
It attaches like the factory bracket, it bolts to the center of the head where the intake manifold bolts to the head. And yes it works with cab on, that's the only way I've ever removed heads. I will post the ford instructions when I get to my other computer. I have the Ford bracket at work but it was quicker to build one than it was to go back and get it. It worked just as good as the $150.00 Ford unit and most anyone could build it for less than two dollars! Weld, if that's your profession you could easily sell these for 20-25 dollars a piece.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
First, I did mine twice cab on, it's a hell of a lot more work than lifting the cab. Never again.

Second, the head is way down in there with the cab on, and while this bracket would be fine for cab off, cab on you're still going to need a good 12-16" length of chain and hook, and the head is going to fall funny and make wrestling the head in a challenge.

In the 26 years since I started turning wrenches for money, the hardest job I've ever done is a set of 6.0L head gaskets with the cab on. Never again. I'll do head gaskets on a 6.0L, but I'll lift the cab.

·
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Funny that you mentioned that. I was trying to think of some type of swivel at the lifting bracket and a 1/2" rod shaped like > to clear the overhang. I don't find it difficult with cab on because I always have a second set of hands operating the lift.

·
Stuck in Commiefornia...
1,296 Posts
The second set of hands to run the lift is the least of your worries. To do it cab on there is so much stuff in your way, like the AC box and the firewall. By the time you get everything out of your way, fight the stubborn up pipe bolts, and contend with all the other little things that are going to be in your way, pulling the engine or lifting the cab becomes a far less frustrating proposition than it sounds. If my truck had been an automatic, I would have pulled the engine the second time.

And if you use the rocker arm bolt locations to hold the head you'll be closer to the center of gravity of the head which will let the head hang in better balance and make it more maneuverable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts