The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got an 98 379 with a Detroit 12.7 60 series.
The issue I'm having is at lower rmp just barley rolling into the throttle it will start choking and slight backfire along with raw smelling grey smoke out the stacks. It only does it at lower rpm, speed you can pedal through it and it will run fine until next gear change. also does it down shifting, and if your stopped and rev it it. its never consistent sometimes it will do it other times not. I've pulled fuel out of tanks inspected them, a bit dirty put fresh fuel in with some algae sludge killer in it. Spun new fuel filters on it a few times now, cut them open and there beginning to look black with not much run/drive time on them. Took it to a local shop just to have it plugged in and it had a few over boost codes stored in it, every once in awhile between 12th and 13th gear **** the check engine light will light up just for a second and then go off right away.
Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you.

·
200 Posts
Maybe injector orings. Seen weired things happen with wire harnesses too. Might pull the timing sensors and look for steel on the magnetic ends.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have you came up with anything on this problem you’re having? Literally my 12.7 is doing exactly the same thing. Has been for weeks. It was in frame 80k ago and retuned 2 months ago. I get the same check engine light for excessive boost gets around 49 psi. But occasionally chokes backfired and smokes bad. When it’s running good it’s great. Just had new injectors (6 pack) put it 2 days ago and still that same thing. I’m lost on this one because it’s inconsistent

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've got an 98 379 with a Detroit 12.7 60 series.
The issue I'm having is at lower rmp just barley rolling into the throttle it will start choking and slight backfire along with raw smelling grey smoke out the stacks. It only does it at lower rpm, speed you can pedal through it and it will run fine until next gear change. also does it down shifting, and if your stopped and rev it it. its never consistent sometimes it will do it other times not. I've pulled fuel out of tanks inspected them, a bit dirty put fresh fuel in with some algae sludge killer in it. Spun new fuel filters on it a few times now, cut them open and there beginning to look black with not much run/drive time on them. Took it to a local shop just to have it plugged in and it had a few over boost codes stored in it, every once in awhile between 12th and 13th gear **** the check engine light will light up just for a second and then go off right away.
Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you.
Have you came up with anything on this problem you’re having? Literally my 12.7 is doing exactly the same thing. Has been for weeks. It was in frame 80k ago and retuned 2 months ago. I get the same check engine light for excessive boost gets around 49 psi. But occasionally chokes backfired and smokes bad. When it’s running good it’s great. Just had new injectors (6 pack) put it 2 days ago and still that same thing. I’m lost on this one because it’s inconsistent

1 - 4 of 4 Posts