The Diesel Garage banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its not a HD diesel but Ram officially annouced that the 1500 diesel will go into production later this year. (Moderator: Maybe a new forum catergory?)
http://www.allpar.com/news/index.php/2013/02/ram-1500-diesel-finally-official
Here is the press Quote:

Allpar has known of plans for the Ram 1500 diesel for years; by 2010, we had learned that the Cummins V6 had been packaged into the Ram engine bay. The Fiat purchase and falling gasoline prices put the project on hold until now.

Today, Ram officially announced that they will build a Ram 1500 with the VM 3.0 diesel engine; while VM is owned by Fiat, the company has long supplied Chrysler with diesel engines for vehicles sold outside of North America. The 3.0 liter V6 is a state of the art diesel which passes both American and European emissions tests, has strong power, low maintenance requirements, and good economy. This is the same diesel engine used in the 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee, which will reduce training and inventory costs when compared with the also laudable Cummins V6 diesel (a completely different engine than the Cummins straight-six which will continue in the Ram Heavy Duty models).

The diesel will, not surprisingly, be hooked up to the eight-speed automatic. It is possible that the delay in launching the Ram 1500 Diesel was due partly to the desire to start it off with the right automatic; the eight-speed’s wide range and high number of gears will keep the diesel in its sweet spot and counter the relatively low operating range of most diesel engines.

Allpar predicted that the VM engine had been approved for the Ram 1500 on June 4, 2012, then again on October 5, 2012, and October 23, 2012. The timing (diesel Ram 1500 in late 2013) appeared on April 1, 2012. Ram actually showed a 1500 diesel option in its ordering system in December 2010.

The Ram 1500 diesel is scheduled to start production in July, which would make it available in dealerships between August and September, assuming no delays.

Dodge’s lightest-duty full-size pickups have been available with diesel engines before; in 1978, Dodge started using a four-liter Mitsubishi 6DR5 diesel, also found in the Toyota Land Cruiser, in pickups and Power Wagons.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
IF there is interest we can make a sub forum for this.

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts

·
1,324 Posts
Does anyone think this is the beginning of the end of the relationship with Cummins? From what i can tell Case New Holland(FIAT owned) pretty much has left Cummins. Once they launch this and see what kind of interest they get in a non Cummins engine? Not trying to stoke fears or cause arguments just asking the question. Chrysler is making a lot of changes across the board in their manufacturing and with FIAT such a large player in the diesel world with Iveco, Case New Holland etc. I wonder if this will change. The joke in the auto world when Daimler bought them and it was Daimler Chrysler engineers i worked with would say"it's Daimler the Chrysler part is silent". Now with Fiat they are doing a lot of things different right down to major changes in suppliers for manufacturing tooling. Can't elaborate too much as I don't like to cross work and hobbies. The whole company is operating a lot differently with FIAT involved.

:read

·
2,063 Posts
Who can really know if this is good or bad until we get a few of these 1500 Ram diesel's on the road and see just how they perform. Ford had a good engine with the 7.3 and then they went with the 6.0 which ,,, enough said. Let's just see how things turn out. I may need a new truck.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
No because if they were going to end using the Cummins, Inveco power plants would already be in them. Then you would see a big drop in sales of the Ram Heavy Duty, which is in my opinion is what is keeping the truck line afloat.

·
2,063 Posts
This may be the start of only Fiat/Dodge parts. If this 1500 Diesel performs well, then why would customers have a issue a larger version in a 2500/3500 platform?

For now I see a problem with the 1500 possible being under powered with a 240 HP and 420 ft. lbs, but lets see how well the 8 speed transmission can make that work out.

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For what the 1500 diesel is designed for I think the 240/420 power rating will be adequate especially with a 8 speed. Wasn't long ago (1999) that both the 1500 and 2500 with the 360 gasser was only rated at 245/345 IIRC and only 4 speed autos.

I don't think this one is intended to compete with the 6.7 diesel, just an option for those who want to tow a bit of weight but don't need a full size HD capabilities along with smoother riding compared to the HD's.

·
2,063 Posts
All good points but current fuel economy estimates are 20/24 and that is less then their current gas engines get.

·
1,324 Posts
They are listing more info about the Jeep with same power train.

http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/grand_cherokee/#model=summit&color=deep_cherry_red

30 mpg is what they are saying. How often do people really get the posted mpg on gassers? My wife's Saturn outlook has neeeeevvvvvveeeeeerrrrrr come close to that lie on the sticker.

I had a 2004 RAM1500 as a company truck with 4.7L 4x4 CC and never got better than 14 mpg in the 70k miles I drove it. Guys who lucked out and got Hemi's did better because the 4.7 worked its a s s off trying to go 70 mph down the highway with 500-700 lbs of gear and topper on the bed.

Diesel Cherokee may be the next family car for us.

·
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They are listing more info about the Jeep with same powerJulytrain.

http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/grand_cherokee/#model=summit&color=deep_cherry_red

30 mpg is what they are saying. How often do people really get the posted mpg on gassers? My wife's Saturn outlook has neeeeevvvvvveeeeeerrrrrr come close to that lie on the sticker.

I had a 2004 RAM1500 as a company truck with 4.7L 4x4 CC and never got better than 14 mpg in the 70k miles I drove it. Guys who lucked out and got Hemi's did better because the 4.7 worked its a s s off trying to go 70 mph down the highway with 500-700 lbs of gear and topper on the bed.

Diesel Cherokee may be the next family car for us.
We also have a 07 1500 4x2 long bed with the 4.7 that my shop man drives. It only gets 12-14mpg.

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
We also have a 07 1500 4x2 long bed with the 4.7 that my shop man drives. It only gets 12-14mpg.
thats better than my dads 02 QCSB 1500 4wd with 5.9L it only gets about 12-13

·
ADMIN/MAFIA
4,834 Posts
My old 96 V10 makes 12/13 mpg. I thought for sure the smaller gas motors would do better?
Part of our problem is the 3.92 gear set also.

·
3,533 Posts
I was on the Pickups.com site and they have an article about the Jeep, and the engine, they brought up the FACT that GM owns 1/2 the rights to the engine. I do believe it would be great to have both the GM and Dodges with the same engine.
If GM does not use the engine in their pickup, Dodge will still be paying GM, amazing how things work out.

Reactions: Weld engineer

·
1,324 Posts
I put 70k on that truck and co-workers with HEMI'S were beating me by 2-3 mpg. IMHO an under powered V8 will suck more fuel because it constantly is downshifting to maintain speed. I used to get a chuckle out of setting the cruise and having the speed fluctuate 3-4 mph. Annoys the crap out of people with cruises that maintain speed. Me on my cell phone passing you, then slowing back down on a slight incline :ballnchain :wave:swear. Good torque is hard to beat so a nice Diesel with an 8 speed is interesting for a 1/2 ton truck. Someone needs to buy one and start posting.

·
1,324 Posts
I was on the Pickups.com site and they have an article about the Jeep, and the engine, they brought up the FACT that GM owns 1/2 the rights to the engine. I do believe it would be great to have both the GM and Dodges with the same engine.
If GM does not use the engine in their pickup, Dodge will still be paying GM, amazing how things work out.
I'll have to inquire with some contacts about that. GM is putting an Italian designed diesel built in Germany in the Chevy Cruze. I'd guess they are sharing development costs and licensing it somehow. Automotive is a weird world they are mixed together in so many ways and in other times they won't allow suppliers to have another competitors components in the same building.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
My old 96 V10 makes 12/13 mpg. I thought for sure the smaller gas motors would do better?
I get 9-11 in mine with 4.10 rear and automatic. It is a dually and as heavy as I could get when ordered new.

Been good enough that I've not looked to replace it till now as the poor thing is literally falling apart.

·
2,063 Posts
I get 9-11 in mine with 4.10 rear and automatic. It is a dually and as heavy as I could get when ordered new.

Been good enough that I've not looked to replace it till now as the poor thing is literally falling apart.
Mine is a hand shaker with 3.55 gears.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.