The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, soooo...I'm sorta new to the whole restoring thing.... this will be my first ever.

In fact I'm sorta new to the whole automobile modding and etc. My dad and his friend & co-worker are pretty decent. Well heres the story behind it...my dad bought the old '64 about 6-8 years ago in hopes of restoring it as a father/son bonding time with me and my brother... well me being only 12-13 at the time I wasn't into the whole car/truck thing I was more of a sports kid :-/ . But I began to like the whole car/truck thing when i was 17 (year ago :-/) so now me and my brother are deciding to go ahead and restore it...
It's really not in a bad condition... still has the stock wooden bed boards without any sign off rotting or weak spots (it has been kept out of the weather pretty good) hardly any heavy rust spots (1-3) and the interior is still factory stock...has no cracks in the dash, rips in the seats, just pretty much dusty...its in GREAT condition. The only thing thats really bad on this truck are its dry-rotted tires and the nests of spiders :-/. It still cranks and everything. So any advice on things to make sure to do/not to do when begining this project would be very helpful.

Heres a few pics:

I'll take more pictures tommorow.... charging the battery tonight and going to air the tires up and drive it a mile down the road to my dad's machine shop (hopefully the tires will last 5 minutes) Wish me luck! and sorry if I put this in the wrong place... had no clue on where to put it :-/

·
Gone Fishin...
3,099 Posts
Thats a cool looking truck, should be a gem when your done. Best advise I can give you is this; Get a few disposable cameras and a plastic multi-compartment organizer. Take pictures of everything for reference later, and use the organizer for all the little nuts and bolts you pull off. Good luck.

Reactions: MadvilleMustangs

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the tip.... I never thought about that thanks for the idea :D and I'm lucky to have this opportunity :D I plan to send as little of it off to others as i can so that i can get the most out the experiance... just hope i dont screw up :D

my dad made me laught earlier hes like.... yea you realize that thing has U-B-60 Airconditioning....im like wtf? and hes like "U-B-GOING-60 and thats your a/c" .... made me lmao

Reactions: merlin5577

·
Proud Texan
89 Posts
Here are some pictures I took of it after me and my brother cleaned it.

Note: Everything is stock except for the Antenna, and the connection for the radio.

We are stuck between just restoring it to original, or actually doing something crazy like turning it into a drag truck. Either way would be fun to do.

More pics after a good spraying with the hose and wipe down.

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm leaning more to the drag rod idea, but the father was saying he didn't really want a hot rod kind of truck. It is his truck you know so he pretty much has the final say in the matter but hopefully we can persuade him ya know?

Still dont know:
What engine we're going to put in it. (talking bout 450 Short Block or 5.9L Cummins :O)
If we are going to keep the transmission how it is.
New rims or keep the Old rims and just clean them up.
To add power steering or not.

but yea
still got alot to think about before we even start this project.

·
is here and there.
10,573 Posts
NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! You must keep it stock. LOL I'm sorry, I would absolutely LOVE to have that truck. And I know what color I would paint it. The old green that Chevy had. My Dad had that exact truck when I was a kid and I have ALWAYS wanted one.
Good luck with your restore. I will DEF be watching your progress.

AND PLEASE, if you get tired of uploading photos send them to me via email.

thanks

·
Proud Texan
89 Posts
We will definately post all progress made on it, I've been wanting to work on this truck for years. It was originally gonna be my first truck when I started driving. I was stupid and didn't take the offer back then, but now we can fix it up right.

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:( no gas and a battery that wont hold a charge :( sunday ill get some gas for it and find it a new battery.

·
200 Posts
If it were mine, I wouldnt even mess with it. Just freshen it up enough to make it reliable and safe, and drive as is. It looks good.

BUT, if you must tear into it. I recomend stripping it all down and starting from the ground up. When I was your age, I got a '57 Chevy truck. I tried the "rolling restoration" as it was my only vehicle and my daily driver. I spent more money and time doing things, and then redoing them as I learned better ways and could afford better parts. The truck would be done now, and for less money, if I could have started from the frame up in the beginning.

Here is a pic of mine when I started tearing it down after giving up on the "rolling restoration";

And here it is in its current form, 11 years after I got it. (job cuts into my time to finish body work on the cab to make it look like a truck again.)

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sooo looks like the restore is actually going to be put on hold. financial issues :( sorry guys

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
seeing as the edit button isnt there....

Talking to my dad he doesn't really want to start working on the truck unless we have a list of stuff we need/want for the truck. Saying this I'm asking like what tires and stuff we should get for the truck... a refrence of where to get these items would also be good to have also.

·
1,709 Posts
I would love to have that truck that ya have. That's going to be a nice project.

·
I refuse to grow up
29 Posts
SWEET! had a 65 short stepside project (lost it/stuck the EX with it during a divorce)
anyhow, get the catalogs from LMC truck, lots of great pic's and breakdowns of how it all bolts together

IIRC an El Camino steering column will fit it

AND, you have the old suicide single master cyl. If you want to stick to the stock brakes (4 whl drum) the master cyl for a 1971 chevy is a dual res, non power brake and will bolt right up, you'll just have to run your own lines to split the system, the difference on mine was night and day. you might run into clearance problems if you try to add power brakes, or need an expensive smaller aftermarket booster. I never got that far, but my plan at the time was to run the hydroboost off a 6.2 diesel blazer (DON'T use the one off a pickup, too powerful. use the blazer one!!!)

check the front fenders when you get started, there is a reinforcement panel on the inside, behind the tires. it's not sealed, fills up with dirt/mud/salt, and rusts from the inside out. patch panels are $40 or 50, not much at all.

another one, the 1960 had the 4 headlight grill, it is hard to find but looks awesome if you swap it onto the truck

good luck, looks like it's a perfect project truck in great shape, and it's an easy one to find parts for with a little searching. if you're anywhere near Colorado, there's a salvage yard about 60 miles NE of Denver with a fantastic bunch of old iron in it, I have the info somewhere.

·
2,710 Posts
Nice beast i have some what the same truck only with 4 head lights n 6 tires but its about the same cab n body might just a bot shorter or a bit longer tho. . .

My bed is 7FT long

Mikey

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okay so... I'm going to see about starting this back up again. NO PROMISES though. I went down to go see if there has been any modifications on this truck just to make sure and surprisingly the only thing that has really been done to it is the following:

Battery Change at February 16,1970-
Muffler Installation in 1971-
Radio Installation in N/A-

Everything else is completely STOCK, OE... I mean come on the thing is in so good of shape it still has the Rolled-out-of-factory Wooden Bed planks.... the interior.... is amazing... this truck has UNDER 50,000 miles on it....

There is some slight rusting in the wheel wells and on the framing, but I can't see any perforating rust, just surface rust. Would it be ok to just wire brush the rust off, paint a thick coat of anti-rust paint on it? or should I inspect deeper?

Haven't had the chance to start up the motor.... lack of gas + bad battery has let me. And flat tires will prevent me from rolling it to my dad's shop. I haven't checked the tires to see if they have any holes in them but I might head back out there and inflate them and see what happens overnight.

Going to keep the stock motor (don't know if any repairs have to be done)
Going to keep the stock transmission (3-on-the-tree)
Keep the stock wheels
Repaint it maybe some dark color.... or maybe even like black w/ some limo tint :p!!!! jk (color unknown)
Maybe add a different radio/system
Keep the Gauges
Maybe upgrade to power steering? Power braking?

Pretty much this will be a restore, not a hot rod. If I want to make it a hot rod, I can always mod it.

But yea if anyone around Madisonville, Texas that wants to give a hand. Feel free to call me at (936)348-1228. I really don't know what I'm doing so any experience would be great, just to tell me if I'm doing something wrong or if I need to fix something.

Thanks, Johnny.

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'll put up some vids I took a few mins ago.

Attachments

·
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Pardue the Traveler
4,023 Posts
That truck is in immaculate shape, if our '66 was in that good of shape then I'd be driving it everywhere. LMC truck is a good resource for stock parts, and patch panels. you may want to lose the Three in the Tree for a later four or five speed. The tree has a tendency with age to not shift properly.

·
O'Skool Member
579 Posts
Personally I wouldn't touch that truck. It's like a time capsule.

If you watch Antiques Roadshow they say that old furniture is more valuable and desirable unrestored. Not sure if that relates to autos but if you already have other vehicles to git groceries with why tinker with this intact remnant of the sixties? Just keep it dry and out of the sun. And put new tires on it.

JMHO

1 - 20 of 20 Posts