The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 138 Posts

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brought home a new truck this past week. Its a 79 W900 that had a 8V92 detroit, RTO12513, 4.11 SQHP's, and 10 aluminum wheels, I will be setting my 3406B out of my GMC into this truck as the next few months progress.

How I found it sitting.

The engine.

The radiator and bare heads.

Buckets of fasteners as well as new pistons and liners.

On the way home.

Home and given a bath by mother nature.

·
237 Posts
Great find Cody, looks great. What are the plans? Pulling only or put her to work? Do you plan on leaving it pretty much stock or are you planning a stretch and a bigger sleeper? Whatever you decide I know it will look great, thanks for sharing and keep us posted via pic's.

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Right now I am focused on getting it mobile under it's own power, but the more I thi k about it a may tear into the B model and try and freshen it up a little, it has quite a bit of blowby.

The truck will stay as close to the way it looks now as possible, it's most likely going to be a puller, but you never know. I'm going to leave it the factory length, I'm a big fan of this layout of the short wheelbase and factory 36" bunk.

The engine is a 400hp 7FB, if all goes well and I get it back together, I wouldn't mind putting it on a dyno to see how much power it doesn't make. LoL

·
990 Posts
congrats!

Lookin' good, Cody. You have to be a visionary to look at that pile of iron stacked on the trailer an see the motor I know you'll turn it into. Always a pleasure to observe an antique being rescued - a noble pursuit, I think. I'll be following this one with keen interest. Photos always welcome.

:usflag:usflag:usflag:usflag

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I won't be fixing the detroit, I have had experience with one other 8v92 and for it being rated at 475hp the thing was a gutless pig when loaded, although it was fun empty. The one on that trailer may have block issues, when it was tore down a detroit shop had the li e bore cut, and when they set and torqued the mains the crank would not turn, so that's where that stopped.

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the other truck ready to pull the engine out.

Reactions: Rogerstar1

·
381 Posts
Nice addition to your stable.:happymugs. I was reminiscing on that pile of Detroit on the trailer. In my younger days, some of the 2 truck trucking companys I worked for had shallow pockets & they would bring a pile like that home & some takeout pistons & liners & if I was lucky, a new set of rods & mains & my job was to make a silk purse out of a sows ear! Glad I don't have to do that anymore. Good luck with your W900.To bad my old F800 doesn't look like that.---Bob

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The previous owner let a decent but of money go to waste, the rods, piston, and liners were all new parts. There were 8 new injectors as well.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Nice addition to your stable.:happymugs. I was reminiscing on that pile of Detroit on the trailer. In my younger days, some of the 2 truck trucking companys I worked for had shallow pockets & they would bring a pile like that home & some takeout pistons & liners & if I was lucky, a new set of rods & mains & my job was to make a silk purse out of a sows ear! Glad I don't have to do that anymore. Good luck with your W900.To bad my old F800 doesn't look like that.---Bob
What transpired on your fuel problem?
Sorry to interrupt the thread Cody. I'd eventually like to have one of those myself for a spare "juiced up" 1693TA I have sitting around here.

·
381 Posts
Which one of the several? Do you mean the F750? If so , the company that owns it is running the wheels off it & will not shut it down now. Maybe later. Cody, please excuse the :eek:fftopic---Bob

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got the engine stripped most of the way down, still got to pull the pan and get the pistons out, but I'm making progress. It was in running order this morning, and I had it down the far in time for dinner.

·
292 Posts
Great project, I hope I can build something like that in the future!!! I'm going to rebuild my 92 KW first, good luck man.

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plans have changed, I'm not going to use the B model now as the purpose of the truck has changed.

Most likely this monster will be going in it.

Reactions: Rogerstar1

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Plans have changed, I'm not going to use the B model now as the purpose of the truck has changed.

Most likely this monster will be going in it.

Just don't break it as parts are gettin scarce.

Brakesaver on the rear?

I don't see the turbocharger and the style, (T18) for those engines are NOT cheap to acquire if it's missing, or needs substantial work.

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nope, no brake saver, the turbo is off and in the shop. I had it on my B model at one time. It is the T1810.

When we bought the engine we were told it only has around 30K miles on a rebuild because the truck it was in had been wrecked.

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a very late version, I believe the truck was a 76 model, I'm worried about finding an oil filter for it and it is a spin on. I'm wondering about oil as well, when dad was running his we used shell rimula which isn't available any more, I'm not sure what we will use.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
It's a very late version, I believe the truck was a 76 model, I'm worried about finding an oil filter for it and it is a spin on. I'm wondering about oil as well, when dad was running his we used shell rimula which isn't available any more, I'm not sure what we will use.
Is your filter base broken, or do you need a filter number? I have a Caterpillar manual for them if you'd like a copy. Think I've already scanned it.

As I said don't break it through abuse. Quality "hard parts" are not very plentiful; and it's very expensive to work on/with. The aftermarket parts were never on par with OEM Caterpillar.

1976 was getting up into the later model years of production with the "on road" side as the 3406PC was introduced in the 1978 model year although this engine was being tested in 1976. That "tractor engine" could still be had through the 1978 model year along with the new 3406A, but production ceased in 1979 if memory serves.

·
Aimless Wanderer
929 Posts
Nope, no brake saver, the turbo is off and in the shop. I had it on my B model at one time. It is the T1810.

When we bought the engine we were told it only has around 30K miles on a rebuild because the truck it was in had been wrecked.
There are several variants to that T18 series of turbocharger dependent on application. It is a physically large unit and moved a lot of air. If you want to make more power mount a turbocharger and manifold from a D-343 which is the industrial variant of same engine.

1693TA engines were known for going through drive tires quite quickly in their heyday. Pushing a reliable 550hp at 1650rpm was easily acheivable if the fuel was set correctly, and driver didn't punish the driveline.

Always have been fond of them. There was enough material thickness for them to live in high output conditions. Just don't get them hot as they got real expensive, real quick to repair.

·
2,824 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There are quite a few variants of the T18A these were commonly used on detroits and the K series cummins in the early production years, but the T1810 is not one of them, it is by itself. The only different turbo I have seen used is a T12, but the three 1693s we have had were all different ratings, 325, 380, and this white one is 425 and they have all used the same turbo.

I have all the manuals, they are just in a different location, and anything parts wise I need to look up I can do on SIS.

1 - 20 of 138 Posts