The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of my 1979 KW. I am 2nd owner since 1983 and have been around the truck since it was ordered new by a friend. 1.3M miles total. 500K on a new 3406B 400hp white motor from CAT installed in 1982 to replace the blown 3408. I just rebuilt the twin-countershaft 5X4 and chromed the sticks. I replaced the 240"wb alum frame rails with 252"wb steel from Kenworth. New style alum air ride stands and bags, shocks,brakes ect. All work was done about 10 years ago and I've only put on about 20K since. It has never been restored, just always well maintained.

Attachments

·
237 Posts
Thanks for posting those pic's, that is one good looking, solid A model, hard to find an interior in that good of shape. Hang on to that baby.:rock

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Very nice!!!

Reactions: 34kw

·
4,827 Posts
I'm drooling! :D SHARP rig!!!

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've thought about that, or electronic 550, or juice the B that's in it now. It still has the original V8 retarder (rebuilt) and oil cooler on it.

·
282 Posts
Very nice truck!!

·
990 Posts
nice K whopper

Very nice indeed. Any interest in another 5x4 transmission(s) (both rebuilt by Western Peterbilt, Seattle) and related components? I've got one near Mayfield, Kentucky for you.

Looks like Peterbilt sleeper on yours.

Thanks for sharing your photos.

Roger
'71 Peterbilt

:usflag:usflag:usflag:usflag

·
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry - Got all the twin countershafts I need. Nope, that sleeper has never been off of that truck. If you're looking at the lower sleeper door latches, they are aftermarket. All else came with it in 1979.

·
525 Posts
I don't hate the V8,just don't think it's worth the trouble to switch. If it was already there,that's a different story. I kinda wish there was a V8 option available in the new engine market,just to keep things interesting.........

·
2,824 Posts
No need for the v8 engines anymore, when they were out it took displacement to make big numbers, a 3408 is 1099cid, a K series cummins is 1150cid, and the E9 mack is 998cid. Now that isn't really the case.

They replaced the 3408 with the C18, I'm sure they gained reliability too when they did it.

Reactions: LOG HAULER

·
525 Posts
yeah true all that, what I am imagining is a completely new redesigned v 8 that doesn't even exist. I know it is just a pipe dream but I think it would be pretty cool. kind of like a duramax on steroids!!

·
2,824 Posts
Yes it would be nice to see a new style V8 set up similar to the C32 that would have a redesigned crank that would stand higher HP numbers.

Man that thing would sound good when it got in its power curve like a C15.

·
2,824 Posts

·
310 Posts
A 1/2 inch is alot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts