The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son is buying this truck very cheap. It was a debris truck for a local town. For a 30+ year old truck it isn't in bad shape. Miles are under 100k. Truck was used by current owner to move dirt on his property a few years ago. It probably hasn't been started in a year. Not getting any fuel delivery. What I'd really like to have is any kind of manual on the truck, the DT466 engine, the AMBAC 100 injector pump, etc. Especially a diagram of the fuel system. We have bled the system, new filters, charged the filters, we got some fuel out of the pump where a return line hooks up on the rear next to the block. None at the pump head, injectors.
Thanks.

·
40 Posts
If you have fuel supply, hand pump?, to the injection pump and it will not pump fuel out the injection line fittings it is bad or not turning.
I am assuming it has a manual kill lever pushed in or electric and has power to it. If it is electric check the valve.
I do not know of any inexpenceive manual for a truck however an I&T shop manual for 1066- 1486 farm tractor has the same basic fuel system and engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help. Should you be able to pressurize the system with air at the tank and push fuel to the injectors?

·
282 Posts
Check out your lift pump with the primer. When the lift pump went out on my 1993 DT 360, I used an electric fuel pump from a 1993 Chevy diesel to get fuel up to the pump.

·
40 Posts
The Ambac 100 is a rotary pump and the lift pump is built into it. Is that what you had or an inline pump you installed an electric pump on?

·
282 Posts
You don't "thank"?????

·
282 Posts
I was trying to find a pic but couldn't. Not hijacking just explaining that where the fuel comes into the lift pump (with the hand primer pump has 3 bolts) on my inline mechanical pump, I unhooked the fuel line from the outlet of the pump that goes to the inline pump and spliced in the electric pump. Drove it that way for a few months till I got a new pump.

fuel pump.jpg

·
40 Posts
I do not know everything but just trying to help the guy out. I was answering the question if you can bleed the injection lines by supplying fuel under pressure to the injection pump supply. On your in line pump the answer is no. The reason I said I do not thank so is because I never tried or read of it on an Ambac 100 however it can be done on one line of a 3208. If his supply pump is bad it may run with an electric pump the same as your inline pump did, never tried that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts