The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not own this truck it is a friends so ill try to give as much as i can.

The trucks date is 05/84 its a 6.9L banks turbo diesel, has two batteries and the battery isolater by sure power.

Theres power to the ignition and everything but when the keys turned over whats heard is a hard clunk ? (not heard personally by me)

Sorry this is a plain and open post I'll get what I can when I can.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
It sounds like either the engine is locked up or the starter is locked.

You need 12V to the starter B+ terminal AND good ground connections between the starter/engine and battery pack for the starter to work, even a new one. I'd check all the connections first and I don't mean LOOK at them, I mean remove, clean and reassemble (with the batteries dosconnected of course).

·
3,533 Posts
Do not try to start it till you check it out, an oil filter is cheap and removing it and cutting it apart looking for metal is always a good idea. The repair will never get cheaper the more you run it.
I would put a wrench on the crank and see if it will turn? See if it has end play? See if you can turn it back and forth even a small amount? That would tell you it is a piston or other component, and not the crank. No end play in the crank means it is either the starter Jammed or the crank seized. If turning it back frees it up it could be a bearing and it will seize again.
Two people and a volt meter, will tell you a lot. Cleaning the battery posts is always a good idea, and the cheapest fix available. As is checking the crank end play. Just a thought!

·
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, unfortunately I'm not the one working on it otherwise I'd do all this. Otherwise I just get to relay this info and the owner gets to choose what he wants to do with it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts