The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought 1984 Pete 359 with 1.5 million or so ($4k). Been sitting about 9 months and still runs rather well. Leaks oil, etc. Cat shop said blow-by is 882 and oil sample has high iron. Going to throw my hat in the ring and pull the motor and do my own rebuild. Will be a lot of firsts for me, and I will have tons of questions as I go along. Giving myself til next summer or so to get everything done. (Driving a lease truck now to put beans on the table - looking forward to no truck payment once Pete is up and running!)

1984 Pete 359
VIN 1xp9db9x8en168789
3406B 7FB08059
Ten Speed Tranny - a 2006 according to seller
370 rear ends
24.5s

Right now, I'm at the point of getting garage cleaned out and set up. Need quite a few tools and what-not.

Any unsolicited, constructive advice would appreciated. Questions that are rattling around in my head right now are:

1: Truck won't fit in garage, so was planning on getting hoist to get motor out and on the ground. Has anyone found a workable alternative to a high dollar engine stand to do an out of frame? Will shell out for an engine stand if worth it. What do y'all think?

2: Modifications? Gonna go with OEM parts, but was wondering if any additions/modifications would be worth doing. Will be a daily driver and MPG is more important to me than hauling tail. Usually run about 60 mph. Was thinking about adding CAC. Seller suggested different exhaust manifold and turbo would up HP and MPG.

I would like to ask for everybody's patience with certain terms and jargon. When Tony says "Max the rack," I think "You know, I wouldn't mind if my wife got implants." You might have to speak slow and use small words sometimes. :wtf

Was in education before I climbed in a truck. Love to read - if you know any books/manuals that would be good to have, please make suggestions. Got quite a few already (parts catalogs, ops & maint manual, truck shop manual for wiring diags, diesel engine mechanics, heavy trucks systems, etc.) Looking forward to figuring out all the things NOT covered in them.

Will continue to sift through the forum, of course. What are some other preliminaries I should be mulling over?

Thanks in advance.

·
2,557 Posts
:sprayw
You should be able to fab up an engine stand fairly easily. and try to find someone with real 3406 engine building experience to look at the engine once you have it torn down or pay someone to do the build and hand them tools and what ever else they may need, you will learn just as much or more and prolly save your self time and money.

·
1,083 Posts
3406B 7FB08059
First I would recomend getting a Cat Manual for your engine serial number. Be from CAT, or Ebay, etc.. From Cat they are about $100, but worth every penny.
Right now, I'm at the point of getting garage cleaned out and set up. Need quite a few tools and what-not.
Most tools that you will need for an out of frame you can make yourself. Such as a liner puller. You can buy one if you like, but you can easily make one for less than 25% the price of buying one.
Any unsolicited, constructive advice would appreciated. Questions that are rattling around in my head right now are:

1: Truck won't fit in garage, so was planning on getting hoist to get motor out and on the ground. Has anyone found a workable alternative to a high dollar engine stand to do an out of frame? Will shell out for an engine stand if worth it. What do y'all think?
As 379 said, making one up is much cheaper, and you can make it the way you want it. Personally I just use 4 heavy duty jackstands that extent to about 22" so there is working room under the engine.

2: Modifications? Gonna go with OEM parts, but was wondering if any additions/modifications would be worth doing. Will be a daily driver and MPG is more important to me than hauling tail. Usually run about 60 mph. Was thinking about adding CAC. Seller suggested different exhaust manifold and turbo would up HP and MPG.
Definatly go with CAT parts on things like piston packs/injectors/advance/govenor parts/gaskets/o-rings.
Upgrades are personal preference. There are many posts about how to build up a 3406b to make some serious hp and still get good mpg out of it. Mostly just do a search for posts by Tony.

I would like to ask for everybody's patience with certain terms and jargon. When Tony says "Max the rack," I think "You know, I wouldn't mind if my wife got implants." You might have to speak slow and use small words sometimes. :wtf

Was in education before I climbed in a truck. Love to read - if you know any books/manuals that would be good to have, please make suggestions. Got quite a few already (parts catalogs, ops & maint manual, truck shop manual for wiring diags, diesel engine mechanics, heavy trucks systems, etc.) Looking forward to figuring out all the things NOT covered in them.

Will continue to sift through the forum, of course. What are some other preliminaries I should be mulling over?

Thanks in advance.
There is ALOT of good reading here. I have spent many many many hours just searching and reading. Next thing I know I am on a completly different subject than what I started on and it is 4 hours later.:rock

Welcome to TDG!

·
990 Posts
Is the tractor a short hood or extended hood model?
Does taking motor out before inframe teardown and analysis make the most sense?
Also, installation of air ride under the cab might be a good 1000 dollar investment not only for comfort but to protect the cab sheet metal.
I applauld your business decision to go old olass rather then new with a monthly truck payment. By the time you're finished you'll know your tractor from front to back and being so informed will save you a fortune at today's shop rates.

Depending on what all you need genuine Cat parts can be far more expensive as you know - I'm not so sure they always warrant the high regard they receive. Cat parts come from overseas, too and the company is no longer in the heavy truck market. If you are doing your own repairs rather than at a Cat dealer will Caterpillar stand behind what they sell you? Also, will 3406b engines continue to be viable commercial engines if California clean air and EPA style reglations move east?

Roger

·
1,083 Posts
I would think torquing bolts like the mains or the heads would twist the block right offern the jack stands.

Am I wrong?
I always pull against the block, knee, or foot against it.

Even then, the block along weighs aprox 2000 lbs, so as long as you don't try to knock it off the stands it won't move.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Is the tractor a short hood or extended hood model?
Does taking motor out before inframe teardown and analysis make the most sense?
Also, installation of air ride under the cab might be a good 1000 dollar investment not only for comfort but to protect the cab sheet metal.
I applauld your business decision to go old olass rather then new with a monthly truck payment. By the time you're finished you'll know your tractor from front to back and being so informed will save you a fortune at today's shop rates.

Depending on what all you need genuine Cat parts can be far more expensive as you know - I'm not so sure they always warrant the high regard they receive. Cat parts come from overseas, too and the company is no longer in the heavy truck market. If you are doing your own repairs rather than at a Cat dealer will Caterpillar stand behind what they sell you? Also, will 3406b engines continue to be viable commercial engines if California clean air and EPA style reglations move east?

Roger
Short hood.

Re: rationale of out-of-frame vs. in-frame. I would like go ahead and do as much as I can now instead of doing a little now and more later, if needed. There's also the "knowing my truck" aspect which you mentioned - peace of mind and confidence. Is an out-of-frame necessary? Probably not.

Re: Cab air bags. Gonna shell out for a great seat first and go from there. Will keep it in mind though. Thanks.

Re: CARB and other emission regs. Kentucky is home, and if I don't do CA, that's ok. Also, DPF retrofit kits are available for later, if needed. Cross that bridge when it writes me a ticket I guess.

Thanks for the input.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally found a 6000# engine hoist for the right $$$. Should be pulling the motor early spring - then i'll be bugging the snot outta you guys with pics and questions. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

·
3,533 Posts
I made a set of saw horses to put the engine on. They are about 18 inches high but 22 sounds better. To pull the motor I put a come-along to the rear and a chain to the front. I use a transmission jack on the tranny and lift it out that way moving the come-along to the transmission lifting bracket if needed.
With saw horses, they are made out of 3 inch channel iron they are flat on top, and work OK if you want to turn the motor over to remove the crank.
Just a thought!

Reactions: BluegrassPegues

·
Tribal
167 Posts
Old Pete's

Ive been out for a while..I own and rebuilt my 82 359 (short nose)..If I can be of any assistance, hit me up..This website is by FAR the best help you will ever find, and best of all, there is no humility in asking even the simplest question. Everyone here is here for one reason, assistance and knowledge.
I have the 400 Cat motor, would like to update it so I can do better than 4.5-5 MPG, working on that. Welcome to the group. Check out my info to see what I have done..The most important part in working in a garage, is HEAT. I didi the head gasket, with NONE...Enjoy the forum, there is a VAST knowledge base here...
TrIbAl
Hey, also get some stickers and or some shirts from here..awesome stuff...

·
Big Cam Power!!!!!
484 Posts
:sprayw
You should be able to fab up an engine stand fairly easily. and try to find someone with real 3406 engine building experience to look at the engine once you have it torn down or pay someone to do the build and hand them tools and what ever else they may need, you will learn just as much or more and prolly save your self time and money.
Please take this advice I learned a ton of info this way!

Reactions: BluegrassPegues

·
Big Cam Power!!!!!
484 Posts
Ive been out for a while..I own and rebuilt my 82 359 (short nose)..If I can be of any assistance, hit me up..This website is by FAR the best help you will ever find, and best of all, there is no humility in asking even the simplest question. Everyone here is here for one reason, assistance and knowledge.
I have the 400 Cat motor, would like to update it so I can do better than 4.5-5 MPG, working on that. Welcome to the group. Check out my info to see what I have done..The most important part in working in a garage, is HEAT. I didi the head gasket, with NONE...Enjoy the forum, there is a VAST knowledge base here...
TrIbAl
Hey, also get some stickers and or some shirts from here..awesome stuff...
quick question how durable is that cat motor what's the good and bad about

·
525 Posts
Just because it was mentioned in one post I thought I would respond about the retro-fit DPF. I researched and priced one for my 3406B. For one that is actually CARB legal I could upgrade to an electronic engine and be money ahead

I don't want to hijack this thread so maybe a new one is in order,but could you share a bit about what you learned through this research? I was just having a discussion about this with a buddy this week as it relates to building glider kits. Thx

·
410 Posts
I got most of my info from Peterson Cat here on the West Coast. There used to be reasonably priced filter for the B & C 3406's. However, it didn't meet the newer standards. Let me go back and take a look and I will try to find you some info on the DPF manufacturers. As I recall the retro fit that I was quoted was $13,000. The problem with the totally mechanically engines is that they are so dirty and that the market isn't that big for a retro fit.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts