The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a friend has the above truck and while his cooler had 4 orings,his book says 6,,he replaced the four but it still leaked internally,,oil in the radiator,,lots but not the reverse....any help app. i have read soke other post about dirty cooler and cleaning it....much good stuff here.thanks.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
On our 7.3's we only have four that come in the rebuild set. Did you use Vaseline to get it back together? And is there a posibillity of internal problems of the cooler? Did you push it together until it made a almost snapping sound?

I am not sure if there is a differance between the 6.9 and 7.3 IDI coolers, but I cant see that there is.

Tony

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Four o-rings, two larger (orange as I recall) and two smaller (black) are all there is, unless you count the GASKET at each end where the header bolts to the block?

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys

thanks guys,,,i am knew here but this a great site....i had asked this question several other places and no answers at all.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
This is probabally THE PREMIER site for diesel owners.

Others may have more members, but there is too much infighting and protection of the supporting vendors (they do no wrong... yea right), and too few truely helpful members.

·
TDG Mafia # 81
1,903 Posts
Hopefully we helped you out. Those oil coolers can be a bear, I have been there quite a few times myself. The oil cooler could be cracked internally, been there before too, it sucks. Make sure you flush the cooling system several times with water and flush before you put coolant back in. Oil can get trapped in the block and not show for two or three flushes, that been my experience.

Hope this helps a little more,
Tony

·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes to possible internal problems,,he had used clr to clean radiator and it ate up his radiator cap and at the same time the engine oil started getting into the radiator.. he replaced with four 0-rings he got from ford dealership but didn't mention that they were differant sizes and it still leaks oil to radiator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts