The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some pics of my shop truck. Took me about a year to build.
IMG_20140731_153900_686.jpg
freightliner car show.jpg
freightliner interior.jpg

Attachments

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Snow

She's not scared of the northeast winters either!!
jb snow.jpg fedex in snow.jpg

·
2,555 Posts
Nice, I really like the back window :bluesbros

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the kind words. I had a great time building it too.:usflag

·
Gear jammin fool
869 Posts
Pretty cool.

Where did you get those back windows? I'm thinking something along those lines for the back of my bunk.

I've looked around online and Ebay for something out of like an old van or such. Something cool, odd shapes. Found some new round porthole style, but like that arch look.

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've always been a hotrod guy and always liked the looks of the back of the late 30's to 40 Ford coupes and sedans. I borrowed glass patterns from the local early Ford guy and had the glass shop cut them for me. I also got the rubber from them. Then I measured the thickness of the rubber, traced the window to the panel, added the thickness of the rubber (cross section) then cut out the holes conservatively. Wasn't gonna rush here. Then kept trying to install, trim, and so on until they fit the way I wanted them to. I think those back windows make the whole truck. It looks pretty bad***** from the rear. Then I took the interior back wall from the sleeper that was removed and made the interior for the inside and around the windows. That way it matched perfectly. You will have to look for patterns and have the local glass shop make them up, or I think if you look around people sell replacement glass ready to go. You cant use the Ford rubber as you would have to use the Ford interior garnish molding. I just used the rubber for universal install like for a loader or bus or somthing. You have to tell them the thickness of the metal and thickness of glass. Mine was the kind with the rubber rope lock put in with the tool. Good luck! You will get tons of complements with those things!

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finally got this other engine running for the Freightliner. 3406C 3zj. Now I'm gonna media blast it and paint it to match the truck. Try to put up progress pics. if I remember to take them in the first place.

before engine (450x800).jpg

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here are some pics of the engine blasted and in Sherwin Williams black epoxy primer. I will be converting the green base coat into the same color but single stage urethane. It should hold up pretty good.

Attachments

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are a few more pics. Finally got it green.

Attachments

·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I move the engine with a big forklift. I made a heavy boom to extend the forks. It runs pretty good since engine swap it still smokes tho even with a new air to air. Still got some tinkering. Here's a couple more pics. I even threw one in of the diesel Jeep.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts