The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I know nothing.
I just picked up a beat up 1990 F250 7.3 4x4 Ext-cab. It has 379 000 km. Love it.. but there is a ton of work to do. I was hoping some folks with more experience can help me out with some questions, or even direct me to the correct sections on this forum or other forums. With this mileage and considerable rust underneath, would my time/money be better spent somewhere else? Frame is good. Runs nice considering all the work it needs. Answers to any of these questions or general commentary on this rig greatly appreciated.

1. Needs exhaust redo from engine Y channel to tail-pipe. Any advice on upgraded exhaust components to improve performance? I don't need a noisemaker throaty exhaust...prefer quiet/stock, but if anyone has done an exhaust or knows of upgrades that will improve performance/efficiency please let me know. Also any advice on air intake improvements?

2. Needs complete brake job (lines and all friction components). I've heard these trucks have problems with the Anti-lock mechanism, and some people divert lines around this mechanism to avoid hassles. Any advice ? I realize this is a big question...but any help would be greatly appreciated. My anti-lock light is on now.

3. Any advice on adding a chip or sources? I know very little about this...my friend says they pay for themselves in fuel economy and give the truck more pulling power.

Thanks a lot to whoever throws in their advice.

:coal

·
TDG MAFIA
730 Posts
The IDI Motors are all mechanical ran, so there are no chips, programmers available. If you want more power out of it, there are a few things you can do. For one the biggest thing you could do is add an ATs or Banks Turbo that or find a factory one. You need more air in and air out so a better intake and a more free flowing exhaust system. The last thing I know of that you can do is to turn up the Injector pump screw 1 flat, DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU HAVE AN EGT GAUGE.

The 6.9 and 7.3 IDI motors are great if you ask me, all replacement parts are still readily available and also pretty inexpensive, Ive always told people you can buy all 8 of our injectors for the price of 1 PSD injector.

The truck is 20 years old, yea its gonna need a little work, fix and treat the rust on it. Attack it before it attacks the truck more. Just go over the whole truck looking for leaks and other things you may feel need fixed. Always post your questions here no matter what, were here to help out, there isnt such a thing as a dumb question!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts