The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm picking up my new dump next Wed. Now the infamous question arises........ how much money is it going to cost me to make decent power? Obviously it a mechanical motor, 230hp @ 2400rpm, 650 lb-ft. @ 1600 rpm. This is quite a bit more than others I've seen out there but I'd really like to see close to 850 lb.ft. Is this possible to do relatively cheap? Will I be able to keep it cool?? I do know for a fact the clutch is good for 860 lb-ft. Sooooo, I assume the rest of the truck is also?!?!

View attachment 16442

Attachments

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
g&sexc said:
I'm picking up my new dump next Wed. Now the infamous question arises........ how much money is it going to cost me to make decent power? Obviously it a mechanical motor, 230hp @ 2400rpm, 650 lb-ft. @ 1600 rpm. This is quite a bit more than others I've seen out there but I'd really like to see close to 850 lb.ft. Is this possible to do relatively cheap? Will I be able to keep it cool?? I do know for a fact the clutch is good for 860 lb-ft. Sooooo, I assume the rest of the truck is also?!?!

View attachment 16442
Nice truck and welcome aboard!

The answer is that it's up to you to find out. The rear or the prop shaft, for example, could be the weak links. I bumped mine from 210 to 250 and loaded the crap out of mine (crossed scales at 38,000 a bunch of times, my GVWR is 33,000 lbs) with no problem at all.

What trans do you have? Was it a former road tractor?

Follow these links to begin the easy power mods:

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6042

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6041

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was a box truck originally. Which is weird to me cause it came through with the 230 horse. Maybe it was ordered..........

It has the Int. 6 plus. tranny. Do you know much about them? Oh, and what did you mean by, "its up to me to find out?" Try it and see?

·
Registered
168 Posts
its the same tranny that is in his truck. we have 2 of them......some like them some don't. i personally don't have a problem with the 6+1. we have one with 100k on it and shifts like new, and one with 640k on it and the syncros are all shot. but i can still drive it. some of the other guys complain, double clutch dummies. they could be either an o/d tranny or direct also

what ratio is in the rear?

·
'Ol Builder guy
7,051 Posts
g&sexc said:
It was a box truck originally. Which is weird to me cause it came through with the 230 horse. Maybe it was ordered..........

It has the Int. 6 plus. tranny. Do you know much about them?
Some guys don't like them. I like mine because it helps me get more road speed because it has an O/D and there's no 5/2 button 2 speed rear to worry about failing.

Oh, and what did you mean by, "its up to you (me) to find out?" Try it and see?
You were asking in your first post: "I do know for a fact the clutch is good for 860 lb-ft. Sooooo, I assume the rest of the truck is also?!?!"

To which I replied "its up to me to find out" meaning you'll need to research what the weakest link is in your drivetrain.

One other thing: If you have a Spicer 6+1 (overdrive model), your transmission is only rated for 660 ft lbs input, which is below your clutch rating of 860 ft lbs.

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
The trans is the "fuse" in the driveline on your truck.

You can get more HP by running the RPM up more (2600), and not increasing the peak Tq output (like you would with larger injectors), but you are taxing the cooling system if you have the "side-by-side" charge air cooler/radiator combo. Higher HP units typically had the "front-to-back" CAC/radiator.

Also, a viscous fan clutch is not a terriffic idea if you are turning up the power, unless it is strictly thru RPMs. The added waste heat with higher power must go somewhere - the cooling system.

Turning up the boost with the "side-by-side" CAC is a royally BAD IDEA, as it is a marginal set-up already. For every 10*F increase in intake temps, you get a 10*F increase in combustion and exhaust temps as well. This will also add heat load to the cooling system, but to a slightly lesser degree.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts