The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i pulled the heads off my idi 7.3 to replace the gaskets put every thing back like they were i marked the pump before pulling it off had motor on top dead center pump was at 4 o'clock position and was put back like it checked glow plugs they are good,glow plug controller is good and works right has fuel at all the lines and smokes when turning over any ideas of what it could be

·
6 Posts
Did you pull the Injection pump gear cover off for any reason? If you did chances are you moved the gear and it's out of time. The pump will only go in one way the gear cant move with the cover left on. Check through the threads their is one on how to check the gear timing without pullings the front cover off the engine. It's a little tricky but it works.

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I pulled it off it made more room for everything I didn't know I was not suppose to pull it off my mistake but I have read some of threads line the y with the o with motor on top dead center ill try that tommorow afternoon when I get off thanks a lot for the info

·
Super Moderator
4,247 Posts
Yup, a tooth off is a mile off :(

After my first frusterating experience with this, I figured out how to do HGs (6.9L) w/o removing the belly-pan, sorta crude but it works and if I absolutely have to remove the IP, it comes off complete with the cover after the timing is marked on the crank and IP gear cover!

·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well when it rains it pours i read one on the timing with a glass and light well i got the o up and the glass fell down in the motor what a day im try one of those claw tools to get it out if it dont work ill pull the front down

1 - 5 of 5 Posts