The Diesel Garage banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Upside Swordfish
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok guys.. this is what we got... everytime i hit a little puddle or drive in a little snow.. my truck sounds like a big vacumn cleaner and starts to stall out and when you stand outside the truck and listen all you can smell it really rich fuel... then when you let it sit for a min it stops and idles fine.. it sounds like a vacumn cleaner and it has a big big big cam when it's stock with a flowmaster.. never had this problem before.. any info will be great..

thanks

·
Grumpy Old Member
849 Posts
From what your describing it sounds like your ECM thinks the system is lean and is trying to compensate, check your O2 sensor connectors, take them apart and coat the connectors with dielectric grease (use a lot). See if this helps. The connector may be getting moisture inside it causing it to short power between the wires.

·
Upside Swordfish
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the truck always throws the same code for the oxygen sensor.. but i also have a gutted cat and i always have.. so when the truck gets wet it only does this... ??? i dont get how.. can you explain

·
Grumpy Old Member
849 Posts
You should have a 4 wire O2 sensor. 2 wires are for the O2 heater(one power one ground) and the other 2 are for the sensor (one 5 volt refrence or supply and the other sends the signal to the ECM. Imagine an old radio volume control (variable resistor) when you turn the knob it increases and decreases the voltage going through it. Your O2 sensor works in this way. Depending on the mixture, the sensor varies the voltage back to the ECM. If water gets in the connector it will conduct electricity between the electrical wires sending a false signal to the ECM. Being the ECM is stupid and dosen't realize it's getting a false reading it tries to compensate for what it sees.

·
Upside Swordfish
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is some of the wire showing.. so if i put eletrical tape around the wires now will that help any???

·
Grumpy Old Member
849 Posts
Tape is not a good idea. If you can make sure the wires are seperated and dry you can coat them with solicone (ultra black works good) and seal everything up. If the wires are on the O2 sensor side of the connector I would go ahead and replace the sensor. The solicone is not a permanent fix but it will help you diagnose if this is the issue.

·
Upside Swordfish
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its the one wire on the sensor it self.. but its always been like this since i gutted my cat during the summer and i always drive through deep mud and water and never had a problem besides 2 times at the most..

·
Grumpy Old Member
849 Posts
everytime i hit a little puddle or drive in a little snow.. my truck sounds like a big vacumn cleaner and starts to stall out

i always drive through deep mud and water and never had a problem besides 2 times at the most

Now I'm confused! Which one is it????

·
Upside Swordfish
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
confused my self to so ill start over..

Today.. i drove around town hitting every puddle i can find.. everytime i hit it. the check engine light will come on. i pull over. turn off truck. start it up. no light.. drive to next puddle. hit it check engine light.. the truck only bogged down to like 200rpm once today out of maybe 20 puddles.. so im thinknig if i can get plastic tubing to put around the oxygen sensor and the wire's will it prevent it from throwing codes and bogging down.. i just need a temp fix till i get a new truck which is soon

·
Upside Swordfish
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
check engine light came on today.. pluged in computer.. EGR code came up... would that cause it to do this??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts