The Diesel Garage banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine is having an issue with his 1995 1 ton dually 2wd stalling after it has been running. The truck has 360, 000 kms (225, 000 miles).

He's a welder and bought it for a spare truck in case his main welding rig stops suddenly. The truck hasn't been ran or used a lot in the 6 months or so that he's had it. It was given a check over by an experienced diesel mechanic and a few glow plugs were replaced as well as the under valve cover wiring harnesses when he bought it. The truck was parked in early November with a full tank of winter fuel, he went to start it the other day and it fired right up and seemed to be running fine. However after idling for 20-25 minutes it stopped. Cranked for a while but then started up. The truck keeps dying after running for a bit, sometimes it runs for a couple minutes sometimes upwards of a half hour. When it dies it's just like someone turned the key off. Also, sometimes it takes an extended amount of cranking time to start, (10 seconds or more) sometimes it starts quite quickly. :confused:

Has anyone experienced anything like this? I'm more used to the old mechanical Cummins in 2nd generation Dodges, so I don't really have a lot to offer on this problem. Fuel filter was changed at the same time the glow plugs were done. Off the top of my head I'd say it's a lift pump problem, but they don't usually come and go. Once they get weak the truck usually starts to power out and gets hard to start, no?

Appreciate any advice and/or comments!

Thanks!
Marc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts